Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Strange Herpes Outbreak Pattern
suomyno posted:
I am a female with genital herpes (HSV-1 though) since 2005. I had been with my boyfriend for 2 years though and HAD NOT been with anyone else during that time. We assumed that I had gotten it from him and that he was asymptomatic, but years later he tested negative. So, I am guessing I contracted it a couple years earlier, which goes against what everyone says about the first OB occurring within 2 weeks.

After my first OB, I had a few OBs that responded to treatment, then for 2-3 years, I would get only 1-2 mild OBs a year that also responded to treatment (Valtrex). I also would ONLY get the OB in the same spot (mine appear as a thin line, not round blisters).

Then in 2008 I started a new relationship and was with a guy who also has genital HSV-1. After I was with him, I noticed an increase in the number of OBs, but they still responded to treatment.

Finally (and getting to the really weird part), starting this year, I have been getting numerous OBs that last weeks at a time and do not respond to treatment. I have tried lysine, topical nucleoside inhibitors, abreva, along with oral valtrex or famvir, and nothing seems to prevent them or make them go away once I get them. Also, the sores appear in several places now as opposed to just the one. I had one sexual indiscretion (oral sex with someone I didn't know too well) in the beginning of the year correlating with this increase in resistant OBs. I was to my horror certain that I had contracted HIV, but I tested negative at 4 months, and was assured that my immune system wouldn't be that weak so early anyway. But that leaves me to wonder what is causing this sudden increase in OBs and why are they resistant to meds?

This all really makes me wonder how much we really know about the herpes life cycle and virulency. I have read some other posts on various sites stating resistant OBs or OB patterns that do not resemble what we typically hear about genital herpes. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar things, or more importantly if anyone has any ADVICE about how to handle OBs that just won't go away????

Thanks!!!!

suomyno responded:
I forgot to say also that prior to this last OB I started on daily suppressive Valtrex (500mg), which I thought was effective as I went 2-3 months with no OB. When this OB started, I began taking 1000mg a day along with the topical nucleoside inhibitor, and still no change.

betsyo1967 responded:
odds are whatever is going on now isn't due to herpes. what testing have you had done recently?

how were you originally diagnosed as having hsv1 genitally?

as to the partner you think you got it from, even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. odds are you really did contract it from him but you might never figure that out. You easily could've not realized your initial infection was herpes. if you only had symptoms on your cervix, you wouldn't have noticed them.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

suomyno replied to betsyo1967's response:
I've noticed this is the most common response to people's posts that mention outbreaks that don't respond to medication....but the blisters I'm getting look EXACTLY like and feel EXACTLY like the one's I've always gotten. I haven't been with anyone else besides that one incident I mentioned (which was only oral contact - me to him - not genital, so other than HIV, which I was tested for, I don't see what other kinds of STDs I could have contracted from that incident).

betsyo1967 replied to suomyno's response:
you could have a bacterial infection or all sorts of things going on. this is well worth a complete work up for.

very few people don't respond to medication. you have to rule out other causes before you can start a work up for predominant tk deficient herpes infections.

In all the posters who have come to the boards thinking their herpes isn't responding to medication, I can't recall anyone who didn't find out that it was something else going on. Terri has had a few patients who don't but not many in her 30 years of seeing herpes patients. the advice I give is sound and for good reason!
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Elle0317 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Betsy is right, as always, I had a bacterial infection in the hair follicles from shaving down there and guess what it looked like?? yep, it was a bunch if little blisters, I was convinced it was herpes but it wasn't.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.