Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

CAN YOU SPREAD TYPE 2 GENITAL HERPES JUST BY KISSING SOMEONE?
An_209692 posted:
I am a male with Type II, genital Herpes. I am in a new relationship with a women and told her what I have prior to having sex. I told her I cannot spread anything to her by kissing because I do not have type 1, oral herpes. I spoke with my new doctor today and he said that is not true, but I read up on this again today here and I cannot find where it states that I can spread herpes by kissing if I do not have type 1. The Doc told me that it is "less likely" to spread but there is still a chance. Although this makes some since to me, I want to make sure before I go and change my story to my girlfriend. I told her because it is the right thing to do and I wanted her to trust me, now I am again confused.
If I have Type II (genital) Herpes, can I spread it to someone not infected just by kissing?

georgiagail responded:
Your physician is a dope. If you carry HSV genitally, kissing will not transmit the virus to another person.

Gail

betsyo1967 replied to georgiagail's response:
I 2nd the dope part!

Only a small percentage of folks who have hsv2 genitally, also have it orally. Of those who do, the average rate of shedding is about 1% which means about 3-4 days a year it would be active. so even if you do have it orally and didn't know it, the risk of transmission through kissing is minute and not worth any worry about!
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

livinglifedaybyday replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thank you both for your replies. I was in shock when he told me that. I will have him try to prove his point next week but all my research I have done the last few years and yesterday prove that we are correct. Maybe he was thinking of another virus, I know a few of them can be transmitted by kissing. Thanks.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.