Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Includes Expert Content
How long can the virus remain dormant before having an outbreak?
An_209765 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with herpes after having an outbreak. My partner also tested positive for the virus but at the present is outbreak free. We had been sexually active for three weeks before it happened. The last time I had been with someone was over three months ago. My question is this. Could I have been in a dormant stage for several months before an outbreak? Is that possible? What can you tell me about that? In all of the information I have read on Herpes I can't find anything about how long it stays in your body before becoming active. My partner had not been with his previous girlfriend for over six months and to his knowledge she was not infected by him. So I am assuming that I am the one. Can you give me new insights and information on this? Thank you!

betsyo1967 responded:
how were you diagnosed as having genital herpes? what all testing have you had done?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Dimples598 replied to betsyo1967's response:
I had a complete examination at the Doctor's office. The doctor took a swab of the sore. The test came back positive for genital herpes.

Terri Warren, RN, ANP replied to Dimples598's response:
If this was quite recently, you could also have a type specific antibody test done. If the antibody test is negative for the same type that the swab test was positive for (I'm hoping it was typed), then this indicates new infection - positive swab test, negative antibody test for the same type.

Terri

Dimples598 replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
Thank you for the information! It has been over a week since I was diagnosed now so will an antibody test still be worthwhile? Or has too much time gone by?
I am also having other problems. I feel very tender and swollen even though I have finished my course of medicine, valyclovir, and the sores are gone. Is itching normal for this? My urine was checked at the Dr's and I don't have a bladder infection but my urinating is different now than it used to be. I get a lot of pressure build up but cant always go. I have to wait awhile. Then it doesn't come out the way it used to. It is very slow, no matter how badly I have to go. This is hard to explain. Is this normal for people who have herpes? Should I see a urologist? I am asking you because unfortunately I don't believe my Dr has the knowledge to give me as much information as I would like. Thank you for your replies.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.