Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes symptoms
An_209778 posted:
HI
I have had herpes 2 for about 6 years and it was pretty under control for a while, I would feel like I was getting one, get a small bump and then it would go away and that would be that. I never got a big outbreak that was really painful or uncomfortable. But over the past couple years I have been under an enormous amount of stress - I had a baby and my marriage fell apart, which was horribly stressful and I am separated now - So I felt like I was getting them more often. So I have been taking Acyclovir 2x / day for almost a year now to control outbreaks - but here's my problem/question.
I never know if I am really getting an outbreak. I never get open sores that hurt. I used to be able to tell where it was - prodome, then a bump that would hurt if I touched it or feel it when I wiped etc - but not anymore. There are times when I'm just more 'aware' of down there, on and off itchy for a day or 2 (so hard to explain) -not the same tingle/dull pain like before. and not one bump that lasts and goes away. I wont see anything. I'll look and try to feel if anything is abnormal but nothing.
Sometimes, I will get hive like bumps ( not small pimply bumps, and no open sores), just more like a couple hives (more towards the back, never near my vagina) that last maybe 24-48 hours max. and that's it..
My question is - can herpes symptoms manifest like this? I am so confused as to when I am having an OB or if these are just 'normal' feelings. My doc says if I feel like I am having an OB then I probably am...but really? no open sores? just a little itchy for a day maybe two?
I dont get what these hive like things are that come and go every month or 2 - but, I have really sensitive skin (always have) and get hives on the rest of my body occassionally but this just seems random.
Anyone else have symptoms that are so subtle and last only a few days that they dont ever get a real outbreak?

betsyo1967 responded:
best thing to do is to be seen regularly as needed for proper exams. just because you have herpes , doesn't mean it's the cause of everything in between your legs. being on daily suppressive therapy means that recurrences are going to be few and far between. could be any number of things going on contributing to your symptoms so monthly follow up if needed is a good idea. get properly tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally and also try to find out what is causing your hive type rash too!
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

ADW80 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thanks for the reply!
Do those symptoms sound like herpes symptoms at all? I am thinking I will just call my doc the next time I get that rash thing and see if she can see me right away.

also as far as transmitting HSV to someone else - can touching with the hands give it them? If there was no sex nor rubbing of the genitals what are the odds of transmitting to a partner through touching - no signs of an outbreak present and on suppressive therapy.

Thanks so much for your help. I get so nervous about giving it to someone else, and would never have intercourse without telling someone first. But it's so confusing because I can't tell when I am or not about to get an OB!

betsyo1967 replied to ADW80's response:
mutual masturbation isn't a risk for herpes transmission.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.