Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

completely confused
depressed1991 posted:
I am 19 (female) and I went to the GUM clinic today and the doctor/nurse did a physical examination and concluded that I have genital warts. The words have been ringing in my ears all day and worst thing is I told one friend and well I received a not so positive response. I was with a previous boyfriend of 1-2years and he is the only person I have ever in my short lifetime had sex with twice. I contacted him today and he claims that he gets tested regularly and has never been diagnosed with it.

He has said he will go and get tested tomorrow again just to confirm. What I don't get is it even possible for him to not have HPV and for me to have it and why? I mean if i have it does that not mean he has it? If he doesn't have it now will he have it in future?Also id genital warts the same thing as herpes and how do I know which type of the virus I have?

I am sorry for asking so many questions but I don't know what to think of this or how to live with it and how or why I have it and he does not.It all seems so unfair and I feel very ashamed and unworthy of myself right now.Maybe I do deserve it. My life seems to have come to a halt before it has even begun.

georgiagail responded:
Considering there aren't any tests to screen for HPV in males, I'd say the guy is either 1. lying or 2. confused about what he was tested for.

And no, genital warts is not caused by the same virus that causes genital herpes. There are two very different viruses. If I had to have one or the other, I'd pick genital warts over genital herpes in a heartbeat.

Gail

omgitsarpg replied to georgiagail's response:
warts is a form of HPV (or so my health teacher says and the textbook) and HPV will show up in his blood so i think he is lying

georgiagail replied to omgitsarpg's response:
You are mistaking testing for HSV (i.e., the herpes virus) which can check for antibodies in the blood with testing for HPV which is not done through blood but rather swabbing:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

Gail

depressed1991 replied to georgiagail's response:
Ok, I am somewhat more confused. So basically what you are all saying is you can have HPV (genital warts) and not have herpes? Phew that's a relief in a way i guess i have to wait for my test results to come back in a few weeks because the nurse took my blood and did a swab.

georgiagail replied to depressed1991's response:
Genital warts and genital herpes are caused by two very different viruses that sound similar (HPV and HSV) and this can often be confusing.

Gail

Well its a week later and I am somewhat happy because i received the remainder of my test results (gonorrhea,chlamydia and HIV) all came back negative and wow am I happy. As for the HPV well I did have warts but they have all cleared so far so I am just hoping that they don't come back at all or anytime soon otherwise I think I have not done bad for week one.

Ok sorry guys but I have another question.I think I may have the warts in my mouth as well....:-( I think I have two but all along I thought I bit myself but I am certain now because they don't hurt at all they are just there on my inner cheeks. The other one seems to just be disappearing on its own but how do I get the other one to heal just as fast because I won't be able to get checked this week and well I need it to disappear before next friday....HELP also what sort of treatment do they usually give for this?

betsyo1967 replied to depressed1991's response:
odds are these aren't hpv in your mouth. sounds like normal things from trauma to the mouth ( like biting your cheek ).
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

depressed1991 replied to betsyo1967's response:
hmmm i guess i have to be chacked just to be on the same side. you know what I am afraid of the most now that i have HPV? the fatc that if i notice anything unusual i panic like 2x more than i did before mostly because i am afraid if i ignore it it might become something......and also becaus I am trying so hard to act like nothing happened. thank you all and webmd i don't think i would be getting through this without you.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.