Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Includes Expert Content
can you get genital warts from warts on your hands?
An_209948 posted:
can you spread warts from your hands to your genitals. my obgyn says "maybe," but not as common.

have had one partner for 20 years. he said he had something prior to us. and has been faithful.

therefore, his virus gave me an outbreak 20 years later?
or i spread the virus myself?
or he's lying?

Terri Warren, RN, ANP responded:
You don't get genital HPV from the kind of warts that are on your hands. If you are describing an abnormal pap caused by HPV, it can 20 years from infection to development of an abnormal pap smear. I think your probably know if he's lying, right?

Terri

awesome52 replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
If someone did have warts in the gential area that were the kind that you get on your hands and other places of the body that common warts get would they have the same hpv number that these warts have. Also are gential warts that are not of the high risk strain called common gential warts;meaning they are hpv11or hpv16? Can warts be identify by their hpv number?

betsyo1967 replied to awesome52's response:
typically they don't actually type hpv infections that are obvious warts. we only type cervical hpv infections generally and even then typically they only check to see if it's a high risk type of hpv or not when they do so.

external genital warts are a cosmetic issue only. they are never classified as high risk hpv.

A partner showing up with genital warts 20 years into a monogamous relationship is certainly a reason to be asking a lot of questions as well as covering your bases with full std testing.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

An_209949 replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
I got genital warts 18 years ago and now paps are showing abnormal cells. What does this mean and what treatment if any is recommended? I heard they can do a LEEP procedure - would that get rid of these cells and prevent vaginal cancer (I have no cervix.

betsyo1967 replied to An_209949's response:
the types of hpv that cause external warts are typically different from the types that cause infections on the cervix. did your provider say if it was high risk hpv or low risk hpv or even were you tested for hpv at all for a cause? you had a hysterectomy I presume?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

MikeyPaxton responded:
sucks

awesome52 replied to MikeyPaxton's response:
What sucks? Having an STD.

willbealright replied to MikeyPaxton's response:
yes it does but it could be lot worse, thats what i keep telling myself

annlovescats responded:
yes definitely.

segunmichael replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
Has anyone heard of the drug called Resolve HPV? I came accross the site offering to sell it and would like to know if anyone has tried it?

IWantToKno replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
I had genital warts many years ago (probably 30 years). It was treated and I've had no recurrance. Four years ago I had a complete hysterectomy. I've had regular checkups my entire life, iincluding PAP smears. Because I no longer have a cervix I wasn't really concerned about HPV, and when my GYN retired I just started going to Planned Parenthood to get screenings. This years they said I am positive for HPV and wanted me to do a culposcopy, but couldn't really answer my questions about whether this is really necessary since I don't have a cervix. What should I do and should I be worried about this? Btw, I have a high deductible insurance and would have to pay out of pocket for the procedure, so I can't afford it unless it is essential.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.