Are Genital warts the same as HPV?!?!
ConcernedButNotSure posted:
I have been reading this discussion for many pages, and I am a little confused. I have a painless wart on the crease of my two right labias [majora & minora> and it has been around for about 4 weeks. I had the gyno check it out and she said that I was overreacting and it was [verbatim> just a "skin thing." I insisted on a full STD screen and Pap smear. Good thing I did! The same doctor sent me the mail message: "Negative for all STD's, but abnormal Pap test. Please call me." After a tough night, I called in the morning, and the nurse insisted that it was no big deal, but I tested positive for HPV. I hear genital warts are excruciatingly painful, but I poke and prod the heck out of my little [but growing> bump and it feels as painless as a freckle. Should I be expecting this thing to break open and shed and start hurting? Or are HPV bumps different altogether?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
Genital warts are not excruciatingly painful. They actually tend to be quite painless. And they do not break open like pimples.

Gail

ConcernedButNotSure replied to georgiagail's response:
So I am thinking I have this straight: Genital herpes ARE genital warts, but WARTS are NOT herpes! My doctor said that he poking and prodding would be excruciating if it were a herpe. I will go ahead and assume that it's simply a wart, not a painful herpe.

georgiagail replied to ConcernedButNotSure's response:
No, that is incorrect.

Genital warts are caused by the same virus that can cause warts on other parts of the body; HPV. There are many, many different strains of the one virus and the strain that may cause a wart on a finger (for example) is not the same that can become a concern for cervical cancer if the virus invades the cervix.

Herpes is caused by another virus, HSV (herpes simplex virus). The outbreak from this one can be painful and the outbreak is lesions. Genital warts on the other hand are sometimes described as resembling a raised freckle.

I hope this makes sense. It's easy to get the two viruses mixed up since they sound so similar.

Gail

awesome52 replied to ConcernedButNotSure's response:
Think like this. Warts are hpv. Hpv causes cancer. Scientist are still working on how much link there is to the warts hpv and cancer. Especially anus and penis cancer. Right now it seems people who have warts have an increase in their chance of cancer. Herpes; painful,excruciatingly so,or that is the way my take on these 2 subjects are.

cricketwitch replied to awesome52's response:
It is my understanding, though, that there are different strains of HPV, and the ones that cause visible warts on the outside are not the same as the ones that show up on a pap. Inside ones are "high risk" (the ones that give you an abnormal pap result) and increase your risk of getting cervical cancer. Outside ones are "low risk" and don't cause cancer.

My gyno says there is no correlation between having warts and getting cervical cancer, because it is a low risk strain.
Maybe you have two strains of the virus? Or maybe the thing you see is really "just a skin thing." Did your doctor reconsider and say it was a wart caused by HPV?

Also are herpes outbreaks always excruciatingly painful? Would you know it without a doubt if you had it?

betsyo1967 replied to cricketwitch's response:
correct - external warts are a cosmetic concern only.

you can have more than 1 type of hpv at the same time. hpv infections on the cervix can be either low risk or high risk. they aren't automatically high risk just because they are cervical hpv infections.

warts are hpv. if your provider doesn't think this is a wart and is just a skin tag and you don't believe them, ask them to remove it and send it to the lab to check to see if indeed it is a skin tag or hpv for peace of mind if you need it.

continue to follow up on your abnormal pap results. did they schedule a colposcopy for you yet?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

fightinirishfetus responded:
you say you tested positive... what kind of test? blood? I've been told no test exists for men?!? is there a test? know any surgeons adept in this area?

elle0317 replied to fightinirishfetus's response:
A PAP test is how women find out whether they have pre-cancerous cells caused by HPV. They swab the cervical cells and test for abnormalities. There is currently no testing available for men unless he develops obvious genital warts.

rest2010 replied to Mike6966's response:
Let's clarify. tiny bumpy things may be just that and not HPV. A wart on the body maybe just a wart and not HPV. However, please keep body parts with warts away from genitalia and anal areas.
Tea tree oil can be very irritating so proceed with caution on broken skin areas, and soft tissue.

awesome52 replied to rest2010's response:
All warts have HPV;even the ones on your hands. They just have different HPV numbers;and they are not all associated with cancer, just the high risk HPV.

SusanKnows replied to cricketwitch's response:
Yes, absolutely. Herpes outbreaks are always very painful, especially the initial outbreak! And this applies to herpes bumps and open lesions -- the bumps which resemble 'pimples', are at times but not always filled with fluid, within a few days these larger fluid filled bumps will burst and become open lesion (and vary greatly in size, where some are nearly invisible --but you can feel the lesion, it may feels like a small cut --or they can be larger than an average 'pimple' and still be very visible and painful. Its a matter of knowing the difference, but there is no question once you have an ACTIVE herpes infection, you will know.

The virus as with HPV, may lie dormant for years and until one has the initial outbreak -- you may not know --BUT you WILL know when this occurs--but for the sake of it, lets just hope you and your partner are safe and hopefully, do not have either of these lifelong infections.

SusanKnows replied to fightinirishfetus's response:
Not true, certainly there are and have been for some time both skin and blood test for HPV and Herpes for both MEN and WOMEN. The HPV virus contains over 300 variations and therefore it may be more complex to identify a particular strain unless it has caused secondary problems such as warts or cervical cancer--these strains are easier to identify.