Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

mental/emotional effects of hsv2
CloudNineteen posted:
i contracted hsv2 from the guy who took my virginity about 2 1/2 years ago and i feel like ive been robbed of a normal life. i cant help but feel disgusted and contaminated because i have this disease that will never go away. i am a 19 year old female. i have outbreaks every month and this the start of 2011 i have had consistent outbreaks. there hasn't been one day that i have gone without knowing that i had one or feeling pain from them. this is really starting to take a toll on me.
i was diagnosed about a year after the fact and i was already done with the guy. my self-esteem is very low at the moment and i feel like no guy will ever give me a chance because of this sickness. and also isnt helping that i've been in pain for nearly an entire month. i do have a docs appointment next month and i'll ask about meds. i was diagnosed at a planned parenthood and i haven't gone back since receiving my results in the mail.
i feel so alone and that no one will understand or care about how i got this disease. im not promiscuous or anything of the sort. just had extremely bad luck.

coolstuff0808 responded:
A lot of us on here can totally understand your situation. Taking the medications daily should help to lower the amount and severity of outbreaks you have (as it did for me).

As for feeling like no one will ever want to be with you... That is exactly how I felt as well. What has worked for me (and other people on this site) is just to let a guy get to know you first. Show him everything you are and how good you can be for him! Don't get sexual for a while. I know that sounds hard in this day and age but some things that help are just not to put yourself in that situation (for example, don't invite him into your house/bedroom after a date). After he gets to know you for a while, then you can tell him and it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just remember that this does not work for everyone, and there are people out there who are just simply not comfortable being with someone who has this condition. But don't get yourself down about it! I have used this technique and been with 3 guys since my diagnosis.

Good luck!

CloudNineteen replied to coolstuff0808's response:
thanks for replying. i just feel so alone in this. i know it is very common but even so, this isn't some people would openly discuss normally which is why i feel isolated. i just really feel isolated, like everyone is going on leading normal lives while i have this plague that will never go away.

betsyo1967 responded:
are you on daily suppressive therapy?

herpes won't cause you to have ob's all the time. you will have clear breaks in between them.

have you been tested recently for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

CloudNineteen replied to betsyo1967's response:
Im not on anything at the moment. my annual visit is in a few days and i plan to get tested for everything. ever since i was diagnosed i've had OB every since month, at least once if im lucky.

betsyo1967 replied to CloudNineteen's response:
definitely get tested for vaginitis and ask for daily suppressive therapy. Even if you don't have insurance, you can get acyclovir for suppressive therapy for under $20/month. If you do have insurance, you can get it even cheaper than that! If you have decent insurance that makes once daily valtrex affordable, it's more convenient than twice a day acyclovir.

take back control so that this virus isn't controlling you!!! hard to deal with it when you are having monthly recurrences and aren't actively working to keep this pesky virus down to a dull roar.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.