Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Mycoplasma Hominis
eevey posted:
I recently had some strange symptoms (brown or bloody looking discharge, foul odor) and went to my doc. She sent off a swab and it came back with mycoplasma hominis. I'd never heard of such a thing. She had me read up on it online, however I'm finding info that doesn't seem to really answer my questions. I can't reach her for questions at the moment, so I'm hoping someone can fill me in.

I've been reading that this organism can be a normal part of the bodies of sexually active men and women. Yet it's causing me grief? What's up with that?
It was also brought up that my partner could be "carrying" it ( I guess) and giving it to me through sex. So that ties in with my confusion with the above: It's normal but also an STI?

All the information is just leaving me totally confused. Help? Insight?

georgiagail responded:
You've probably already reviewed the attached article:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5525559_mycoplasma-hominis-symptoms.html

Yes, this is a common agent found in the genital and urinary tract of many of us. It typically causes no problems when residing in small quantities.

Like other organisms that most women do not realize they carry vaginally (i.e., yeast, bacteria) these present no symptoms until they reach a certain quantity. Then the result can be a yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis or, in your case, mycoplasma hominis.

It can be described as an STI because if your partner has it and passes it on to your through sexual contact it's a "sexually transmitted infection".

Gail

MyLaRocks replied to georgiagail's response:
My doctor just diagnosed me with mycoplasma hominis and he states that it is an STD because last year about this time I got a culture for my yearly evaluation and this came back negative. However, just two weeks ago, when I went in because of a discharge, he diagnosed BV & now this. He states that I had to have gotten it from somewhere. I have never been diagnosed with mycoplasma hominis and am only with my husband of 15 years. What does this mean?

betsyo1967 replied to MyLaRocks's response:
odds are the lab your provider uses has recently started testing for this.

did they prescribe treatment for you? did hubby go for testing?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.