Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Includes Expert Content
:Living with HPV
MandyJoMarie posted:
Hello. I am a 22 year old female who just got diagnosed with HPV. To say the least, I'm shocked, scared, and mad... I don't know what to expect, or how to go on... any advice would be appreciated. I'd love to get to know people with this, get a support system of sorts... Thanks

betsyo1967 responded:
did you have obvious warts or an abnormal pap? If you had a positive pap test for hpv, was it low risk or high risk hpv?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

MandyJoMarie replied to betsyo1967's response:
I had both, according to my PCP. She did not say if the test was high or low risk. I was so shocked I didn't even think to ask. I go back to see her in a few weeks, so I will ask that then. Thanks.

Terri Warren, RN, ANP replied to MandyJoMarie's response:
It is important to know the answer to Betsy's question. High risk HPV on the cervix is a risk for cervical cancer, low risk really isn't. Most low risk infection resolves itself within 12-24 months while high risk HPV must be followed more tightly and carefully. Get more info from your doctor when you can.

Terri

depressed1991 replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
I had a physical examination only and she did not even mention that it can be high or low risk. Do they use that system in the UK?

An_210104 replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
hi. im new to this site. as many people have already posted i too have been diagnosed with hpv over 6 years ago, I've been through cryo, had a few paps normal after, and the past year have been having abnormal low grade paps again. i understand that this could be from new exposure, or just recurrence. I feel i am a fairly educated person, and am also in grad school (NP school too haha), but, Ive made myself sick and super stressed about all this! I reviewed countless research articles, and feel just frustrated that most articles state that this virus clears within 2 years. It has been over 2 years since the last time I had sex and have avoided at all costs because of all this. to make matters worse, i have had mild physical signs (1-2 smal gw) but have only experienced sympotms twice within the past 6 years, the most recent this year. I understand this could be stress related..because of school and all, Im just frustrated that i haven't "cleared this". I eat healthier, Ive lost over 25 lbs the past year and 1/2, and nothing...any advice? should I tell future relationships? I know I should, and I have in the past, but my gyn's PA said it wasn't even worth telling new partners I have HPV, unless there i've had gw...this feels wrong.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.