Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Constant herpes outbreaks
rich852 posted:
My wife and I have been together 8 years. We are both 53 yrs old. We both had herpes prior to meeting. For the first 6 years we both had minor herpes outbreaks every 3 or 4 months. Starting about one year ago my wife started having near continous outbreaks. I would say she is broken out 25 days of the month and quite severely. She was taking Valtrex and lysine with no results. Switched to famciclovir and still taking lysine. No help. Added red marine algae. No help. Any ideas what we can do? Really need some help.

betsyo1967 responded:
lysine really isn't effective for herpes.

red marine algae isn't effective at all for herpes.

what other work up has she had? odds are this isn't her herpes causing all these issues.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

AnHonestMouse responded:
I know this might sound odd, but I have heard & found through trying this out myself, that abstaining from peanut butter and chocolate (in combination) reduces the outbreaks. I don't know what is causing your wife's outbreaks, but I am curious if, since shingles, HSV & chickenpox are all part of the same family of viruses & the common occurrence of shingles in older people could be a part of the whole picture?? I wonder if taking a shingles vaccination might help?? I am not a medical professional, so this is really just a shot in the dark, or more of an idea. I know they administer shingles vaccinations @ a major pharmacy chain here, but not sure about where you are at. It could be worth a shot (no pun intended). *warm smile*

God luck!
AnHonestMouse

betsyo1967 replied to AnHonestMouse's response:
there isn't any such thing as a herpes diet that reduces recurrences. Terri has commented on this many times if you want to try to search for her past posts on this.

no, a shingles vaccination isn't effective for reducing herpes ob's. Shingles is in the herpes family but it has about as much in common with herpes simplex as 2 people with the last name of smith.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

rich852 replied to betsyo1967's response:
She has seen her gynecologist several times about this issue. He is the one that subscribed the valtrex and then famciclovir. What exactly do you mean by "work up"?

betsyo1967 replied to rich852's response:
she needs properly tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally. she also should try to get lesion cultures done on her symptoms to confirm that indeed it's all herpes going on.

kate3333 responded:
I have had herpes for 15 years, I am 43 years old, (pre-menopausal) and last Fall, started having constant outbreaks and symptoms. Prior to that, I would have about 1 ob per month around period. I am healthy, and eat a very healthy diet. I decided it may be my hormones, so I took a saliva test to check my hormones from a local holistic clinic. Found out I have estrogen dominance, low progesterone, and my adrenal glands are exhausted and not producing enough cortisol. (due to stress in my past) I am currently on natural supplements, progesterone cream, and isocort to help get my hormones back to normal levels. I am on month 2, and am still having constant outbreaks, but am not ready to give up on this yet. I know my mental state in relation to living with herpes isn't good right now due to the constant reminder that I am always contagious! I do feel ashamed and alone. I live in a small town, and am divorced. I am afraid if I am honest with a man and tell him what I have, that I will be rejected and they will spead my personal info all over town. I realize I have to work through the shame and guilt of this, but right now it is hard because I constantly have an ob or feel one coming on. Need a break badly from this, and hope when my hormone levels get back to normal, it will help. Hope this helps. It may be worth looking into.

betsyo1967 replied to kate3333's response:
have you tried daily suppressive therapy?

also have you been tested for vaginal infections also? bv especially can cause herpes to be more active.

kate3333 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Yes, I have tried valtrex, it does nothing. I went to my doctor for my annual pap, and she noticed a yeast infection, so I took medicine to take care of that. I asked her about bv, so I assume she tested me for that also. I am on my 4th month of taking Isocort and progesterone cream, and have noticed I am sleeping better at night, no more insomnia, but the constant symptoms and outbreaks are exactly the same, no improvement. This all started last October, and hasn't let up at all. I have pain all the way down my right leg from my buttocks to my foot, and itching and tingling 80% of my days. It is wearing me out. I have a very healthy diet. I used to eat anything I wanted including peanuts and chocolate, and no ob's. Before that, maybe one ob per month around my period that could be shortened up with valtrex. This is getting crazy. It is truly out of control! Some days I wonder if I will ever get a break.

hopela1185 replied to kate3333's response:
am 25 yrs old, diagnosed exactly 1 yr ago this month w/ hsv1 genitally . I have been outbreak free up until 1 month ago! Now 4get it i haven't had any relief! i am having a new outbreak every other day! I am in excruciating pain in my lower back near my spine, the tingling and burning is driving me out of my mind! I have been taking Valtrex 1 gm twice daily and nothing! I'm going out of my mind. I need answers!! I kind of had this same situation last year where the bumps on my buttocks would not go away! My gyno sent me to a dermatologist and i was told it was not herpes but so follicular thing caused by hot tubes etc. i went on oral antibiotics and a antibiotic cream and w/i days i was better! Now i have no idea what is going on?? Is it possible that I now contracted hsv2?? Why can I not get relief I feel so alone, I have no1 to talk to. I have not told a single soal about this. oo and i had a blood test done on Monday, an STD panel so i'm waiting on the results

porcelaingirl responded:
The key to avoiding an outbreak is so simple. My outbreaks got worse when I turned 40. I'm now 44 and outbreak free.

Avoid eating acidic proteins at night. You want to maintain a high-alkaline diet. Egg whites are the highest alkaline animal protein there is and I make sure I have it in the morning or in the early afternoon. You want to avoid protein altogether 6 hours before going to sleep. It's the high-acidic environment in your digestion and blood stream that encourage the herpes to come out.

For dinner it's best to eat vegetables, salads and complex carbs like sweet potato or brown rice. (avoid yams - they are high in L-Arginine and bring on an outbreak.)

Look up the high alkaline food list and stick to 80 % high-alkaline foods. And, look up foods high in L-Arginine and avoid them altogether. A daily dose of Cats Claw (500 mg) also get rid of any potential outbreaks. I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I also have 4000 mg of L-Lysine a day along with Olive Leaf. It can also help to eat a Tums at night before going to bed. Especially if you've had a glass of wine at night. (all alcohol is highly acidic-) In any case, I hope this helps all people suffering from outbreaks.

staziej41 responded:
she may want to try having a veggie juice every morning with fresh raw garlic cloves mixed in..this works for me and i have had bought where the medications do not work. also lemonbalm tincture at night

staziej41 replied to kate3333's response:
am 42 and i have been having problems with hormones and herpes outbreaks too the ayclovir doesnt do much for me but keep it from speading and at times it does nothing i have been ingesting raw garlic gloves mixing them into veggie juice or swallowing fresh raw garlic, chopping it or quezenart it works and lemonbalm tincute at night for pain and sleeplessness

lady2help replied to hopela1185's response:
hopela, U are not alone, may God bless u and keep you, I struggle with herpes myself and it is not an easy road. But the mind is a powerful thing, remain positive, and focus all your strength on the good things you do have going for you. YOU ARE NOT Alone. God sees you and loves you, he is with you now and always. When you are not feeling well, trying being extra good to yourself. Take things slow meditate on the word of God and pray! For I know the plans I have for you says the lord plans not to hurt you but to give you hope and a future. Will be praying for you.

submergednpn6 replied to kate3333's response:
Hello, I'm in constant pain. No relief.tried dieting right, did the suppression(seemed to make it worse) meds, night almost everything off line and nothing has taken away the burn and itch and redness. I was curious, since this was written a while ago, how your doing now? I need hope , something, anything...
Thank you

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.