Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

igg herpes test accuracy
An_210276 posted:
I just took an igg herpes blood test today, and I'll get the results back next week. I have a few questions that I tried to ask my nurse, but she didn't seem to know:

1) My understanding is that there are 3 FDA-approved igg tests. Is there any variation between them? Is any one more or less accurate than the others?

2) How often do these tests return false positives? Is it true that being positive for HSV1 can make your HSV2 results look falsely positive?

3) How often do these tests return ambiguous results? I've read that there are middle range results that are inconclusive. Is that a common occurrence?

betsyo1967 responded:
there are more than 3 tests that are fda approved in the US for herpes testing. unfortunately the site I usually recommend folks check out that list the accuracy of them each is down currently.

at this point, wait for your test results and go from there. we can play "what if" but much simpler to wait for results and advise from that point forward - thanks!

do you have a regular partner?

how long prior to testing had you last had sex?

was there a particular reason why you tested or just a routine screening?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.