Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

hsv-2 positive
bergo posted:
I am just back from seeing a nurse practitioner at Planned Parenthood who was unable to definitively answer any of my questions about HSV-2. She suggested I pose them to you. I just had two consecutive blood tests for Herpes within the past month. The tests were HerpeSelect type specific IgG. Both tests showed that I was negative for HSV-1, but just barely above the "equivocal" area for HSV-2. (Under 0.90 negative, 0.90 to 1.10 equivocal, above 1.10 positive). My scores were 1.13 and 1.15, which means I tested positive for HSV-2. To my knowledge, I have never had an outbreak of Herpes. I have read that the HerpeSelect test has a 97% accuracy rate. Is it possible to get a false positive result? I have had at least two other Herpes related illness in my lifetime. When I was about 8 or 9, I had Mononucleosis (HHV-4) and when I was about 30, I had Herpes Zoster (Varicella zoster virus, aka Shingles). I have read that antibodies in the blood from those two illnesses can sometimes cause false positives in testing for HSV. What circumstances could cause a false positive result in the HerpeSelect test? My results from the two recent HerpeSelect IgG were barely above the equivocal , what is the upper range of the test? I have read that some tests results are as high as 5.00. What do very low numbers (barely above the equivocal range) mean? Does having lower test numbers and being asymptomatic mean that I am less likely to infect my partner? I have read that once a person has tested positive for HSV-2 and negative for HSV-1, that it is impossible for that same person to ever contract HSV-1. Is that true? Can I develop symptoms anywhere? Do they always appear in the same place? Am I only contagious at the site of the lesion? Do lesions recur only at the original site of the infection? If I eventually have a partner who is also HSV-2 positive is there any risk in having sex during an outbreak by either one of us?

betsyo1967 responded:
let's try this again since evidently my first reply isn't showing up.

do you have a regular partner? if so, have they been tested for herpes to know their status?

how long prior to your 2nd test had you last had sex?

there are false positive issues with the igg testing. at this point we can't assume that you have hsv2 by no means.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

bergo replied to betsyo1967's response:
I hope this isn't too complicated to follow: I had a regular partner. She was my partner for about 6 months up until I received my first test results. The last time we had sex was before my first recent test results (late March). She also has another partner from another state with whom she spends a few days a month doing outdoor sports. I initially sought to get tested when he notified her that he just had type specific test for herpes and learned that he tested positive for HSV-1 and negative for HSV-2. She has since been tested and is negative for both 1 and 2 (so far). She will get tested again in another month or 6 weeks. I had last been tested in 2007 and was negative for both. In 2009, I did have a long distance partner whom I saw about every other weekend. She told me upfront that she had HSV-2. We slept together, enjoyed sex but never had intercourse.

bergo replied to bergo's response:
I really appreciate your having this forum and the work you do educating people and helping them understand about STIs. A week ago I saw a Nurse Practitioner at Planned Parenthood. I had a number of questions about my recent blood test results for HSV. The NP at PP was unable to answer any of my questions definitively and told me I should post them on WebMD's forum, because one of the most knowledgeable experts in the diagnosis and treatment of HSV, Terri Warren, RN, ANP, would probably have the answers I needed.

Bestsyo responded the next day with three questions and a statement that gave me some sense of hope. I answered her questions as best I could, but never received another response. In the meantime my posts have fallen off the bottom of the forum into oblivion. Perhaps my questions were too technical or required too much additional research for this forum. I am feeling kind of abandoned and don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

crosswordpuzzle replied to bergo's response:
I'm sure they will write back..

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.