Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HPV2 trouble urinating. Help!
mysterychick posted:
So about 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with HPV2 and have been dealing with a pretty bad initial outbreak. My doctor gave me acyclovir and lydocaine gel to deal with it. I completed my initial prescription of acyclovir and the blisters have basically completely gone away. About 3 days ago I started having difficulty urinating, at first it was just a little difficult but everyday its gotten progressively worse. I do eventually urinate and when I do it's a consistent stream that lasts several minutes, but it takes quite a long time, 30-45 minutes to actually pee. It's incredibly frustrating. As a rule I drink a lot of water but it gets really uncomfortable when I can't relieve myself even though I feel like I really really need to pee. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you deal with it? Does it go away? Should I be concerned? Any help would be greatly appreciated because its incredibly frustrating!!!

georgiagail responded:
You likely meant to write that you were diagnosed with HSV 2, not HPV.

You need to get this difficulty with urinating looked into medically.

Gail

mysterychick replied to georgiagail's response:
I just wanted to give my follow up on this in case anyone else had this problem. I made an appointment with an urgent care office near my house this morning. I was fully examined and after finding no obvious reason for the problem she contacted a urologist. The urologist said that this is a very uncommon but known side effect of herpes, and that it will go away but it may take some time before it gets better. Since herpes effects the nerves, in rare cases it can effect the ability to urinate. He actually prescribed Flomax (the urologist) but I am very hesitant to take it because it is not FDA approved for use with women and I have very low BP and Flomax has been known to cause significant drops in BP. Not sure what to do, I want some relief from this problem because it is extremely uncomfortable.

suckie3 replied to mysterychick's response:
I had the same problem urinating. I found that drinking a TON of water helped dilute the urine and took away most of the pain (only a tingling sensation left). Hope this helps!

mysterychick replied to suckie3's response:
Thanks! My problem wasn't pain, it was actually the inability to go at all. It wasn't painful to urinate. I simply could not urinate at all. I wasn't in pain I was extremely uncomfortable though. It's basically resolved itself as of today, but there was a point where I was physically unable to empty my bladder and they were concerned they would need to catharterize me My doctor told me this is a rare but known side effect of a 1st HSV2 outbreak. I never took the Flomax, I found I could always relieve myself in the shower, so for 2 days every time I had to pee I had to physically get into the shower. As of today I am no longer having this problem, but hopefully this might be helpful information for anyone else that finds themselves dealing with this rare issue.

betsyo1967 replied to mysterychick's response:
yes this is thankfully isn't incredibly common with genital herpes but it does happen.

have you finished up your full 10 day course of acyclovir yet? If you did, discuss with your provider doing another 7-10 days just to help keep the virus under control ( or switching to daily suppressive therapy with acyclovir ) so that you don't risk more complications from the hsv2 infection reoccurring again soon. They should've straight cathed you in the office when you were seen and even considered sending you home with an indwelling catheter for a few days. It works best when this is an issue instead of flomax.

this shouldn't be an issue for you with recurrences, in case no one already told you this. It's typically just a problem with a newly acquired infection.

have your bowels been ok too?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

mysterychick replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thanks! I did finish my first course of acyclovir, probably a week before this problem cropped up. They gave me another cycle in case I need it, and 2 refills in case I have another outbreak. My doctor told me that I am not a candidate for daily suppressive therapy, he said it is only recommended for those who have regularly occurring outbreaks.

I absolutely would not have let the catheterize me unless I had no other choice and it hadn't gotten to that point yet, as of today I'm completely back to normal. Had no issues with my bowels at all. Never took the Flomax. Finally feeling like myself again.

Runninggirl43 replied to mysterychick's response:
I am having this exact same problem. No pain, but I have to force the urine out, and I'm totally freaked out. Also on acyclovir and five days in from diagnosis with HSV2. I started having this trouble with peeing about two days ago. How long did it take to resolve? Another couple days? A week? I know you wrote this awhile back, so I am hopeful you will respond. I have been desperately searching for some answers and hope. Thank you.

moonasaurus replied to Runninggirl43's response:
Hi everyone, I too have suffered this problem. When I was diagnosed with HSV2 I was given the lidocream and 7 days of Acyclovir. About three days into the meds I had to leave work early due to the fact that I couldn't pee! I was having a hard time even walking. I thought it was due to the fact that I couldn't relax at work....plus its a public bathroom...lol. I was able to go a little bit at a time when I got home. However, that night I was in excruciating pain and had to go to the ER to get a cath inserted and left in for three days. When my three days were up and it was removed, I was still having bit of a hard time urinating.

Now here is where it gets good and I hope this helps anyone else having an issue. Right before my emergency appointment with a Urologist, I was actually able to go like I normally would. As a last resort, I was told to run some cold water, relax, and sit in it in the tub. So.... I relaxed myself, turned the water on and voila! IT WORKED! I was so happy I could have did a kart wheel!

I know when you can't pee, its easy to freak out. But I learned that added tension just clenches you up even more. So try to relax, read a book or play a video game while on the toilet. Anything to take your mind off of the matter. Run that water. And sit in it, if you have to!

Urine retention is an uncommon but known complication of a the first initial outbreak. The reason for this is because the virus can effect your nerves. Please, if anyone needs any help just let me know. I'm a newbie at this myself, but have learned oh-so-much about the herp.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.