Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Includes Expert Content
Any female who has had Trichomoniasis Please Help
neverphased117 posted:
So my Doc sent me a letter with the results from my last PAP Smear, It didn't say anythin other than please contact office and a persciption has been faxed to your pharmacy. So I call him and he tells me I have Trichomoniasis, an STD. Now I didn't have it last year, my results were normal, and I've only had one partner for over two years. My Doc said I caught it from him. My question is could it have laid dormant in him and that's why I haven't caught it until now, because I'd hate to think of the alternative. He says he hasn't been with anyone else, and I want to believe him but I'm wondering why I haven't caught it until now. Oh and a side note can it make you late for your period, and no I'm not pregnant, birth control.

georgiagail responded:
Couple of things might be happening here....

Yes, it is possible to have an STD for an extended period of time and not have symptoms.

Two; a PAP smear itself does not check for STD's; it only checks for changes to the cells on the surface of the cervix. However, many gynecologists are now adding additional STD screening to their regular Well Women checks. Your physician may have recently added this screen where they were not doing this in previous years.

Gail

Terri Warren, RN, ANP responded:
You could have had trich for a while and not have it show up on a pap, for sure. Not every pap picks up every case of trich, in fact, I think the sensitive of paps for trich is probably pretty low. You could have been infected for months or years and didn't know it. The same is true of your partner. It is very important that you both get treated or you will get it back.

Terri

meghamn replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
I just found out i have bacterial vagititous, and was perscribed he meds for it, but in doing research have found they can be more harmful than good, what should i do? can it go with just home remidies? also the meds themselves make me feel very sick, should i request the vaginal form of them instead?

An_240563 responded:
I have been with 2 partners my whole life. One my exhusband and my second for 9 years. When I went to see my doctor last year, I was told I had Trichomoniasis. I thought there was no way. After discussing my diagnoses with my boyfriend I had learned he had been unfaithful and the other girl had been infected. Until you are 100% positive that your partner is being faithful either have him wear protection or have him go get tested. Because if he isnt treated for the STD you will only pass it back and forth. Good luck

laughlivelove replied to Terri Warren, RN, ANP's response:
I was just diagnosed with Trich and for the last couple of years I've had foul odour, discharge, and really clotty menstrual periods. I have be going to an OBGYN for annual pap's because I have a history of cists. Could my symptons i listed above be Trich but it just wasn't caught in paps? I'm just curious.

I just picked up my script for Metronidazole 500mg I will start it tomorow since you have to take it 3x per day. I was also wondering if you know of any natural remedies...other than obstinance...to couple with the medical treatment?

Tina90 replied to meghamn's response:
This is very true, ive had this once before and my Dr told me it was best to use peroxcide to kill the bad bacteria, useing something to inject it with while laying down in bed with a towel underneath you.

Lefty2121 replied to Tina90's response:
Does that work or do you also need to take antibiotics?

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.