Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Got a question for you!
74MyCrazyLife posted:
Okay so my culture came back positive herpes type 2. I was kinda bummed out but my husband has been so great about this all. He is being tested on the 30th so we shall see what his test results show. Apparently I or the both of us have had it for a longgg time w/no symptoms. I'm current taking valtrex. Now for my question, I've heard it's not recommended to have sex when there is an outbreak present I understand that part. But if he ends up having it and we're both getting treated for it of course we can still have sex right?! Also do we have to use a condom? And ok what if he is negative.. when we have sex does he then have to wear a condom because I can give it to him? Been together for 17 years! Please answer soon - so wanna have sex w/him!! hahaha...Thanks!

iddybob responded:
loll to answer your q's, if he comes back positive and both you guys have it, you can have sex without a condom. there are no risks. but if he comes back negative and u have unprotected sex you can give it too him.

betsyo1967 responded:
totally up to the 2 of you what precautions you want to take if he comes back negative for hsv2. if he comes back negative, then you already know that the risk of transmission to him is overall fairly low. If you two did nothing but avoid sex anytime you had anything going on genitally, it's on average a 96% likelihood each year that he wouldn't contract hsv2 from you. low odds without a lot of work. anything over and above that lowers his risk even more - daily suppressive therapy and condoms would make him 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. it's something to discuss together once you have his results.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

74MyCrazyLife replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thank you iddybob & betsyo1967 for replying back. Everything you both said makes alot of sense to me. I will pass this info along to my husband. Like I said before we've been married for 12 years and dated 5 years prior to that. We've been faithful during our marriage so if I got this or we got this it was about 13 or more years ago and just didn't know it because we had no symptoms. I'm also learning that Herpes is such not uncommon as I thought and a lot of ppl can have this not even know. It's not an issue of who gave it to you either and he's been really great and supportive about the whole thing. Because when I found out I had it I freaked out and got so depressed just like many other ppl do. I also freaked out because we have two sons and I was getting all paranoid that I would pass it to them, like sharing a drink or using the same spoon for a bite of ice cream. Haven't had a cold sore and passing it thru saliva is very unlikely I heard. True right? So I guess once his test results come back we'll figure out this whole sex thing for us. My ob/gyn did tell me that if we want to have sex before he gets tested to just use a condom so I think we'll be purchasing some today! Lol....I just want to say thank you for all your expertise advise it truly helps me emotionally. And iddybob I know your concern is that you are only 17 and to be faced w/this - yes that does suck but you sound very mature and positive. And with this diagnosis that's exactly what you have to be. We can help each other. :)

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.