Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Poison Ivy (or Oak... or Sumac) On Penis
Jmo246 posted:
Does the skin on the head of your penis react differently when it comes into contact with poison ivy (oak/sumac) than skin elsewhere on your body?

Obviously the skin on my penis is more sensitive than the skin on my elbows... so could the reaction be different?

My body has been covered in poison rashes on and off for much the summer from cutting grass and general outdoors-ness. Long story short, I appear to have it on the head of my penis. It looks and reacts just as the other poison rashes on my body so before I freak out and assume its something else, I decided to treat it similarly to what I've been doing on other parts of my body. (creams, calamine lotion, etc etc...) It appears to be doing the trick and the redness and most of the symptoms have subsided after a few days of treatment but it appears to be going away at just a slightly slower rate than the normal rash.

Is this typical?

betsyo1967 responded:
you need to be careful what you put on your penis. I'm pretty sure tht calamine lotion isn't recommended to be used on genital skin. same as some topical steroids can cause more harm than good on the genital skin too.

bottom line is, this isn't a std concern so this really isn't the forum for it. You need to be seen and get a proper exam to see if indeed this is a dermatitis from a reaction to poison ivy/sumac or if it's something else going on. fungal infections are also quite common when you are outdoors sweating too.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

genital warts remedy?
had the genital wart problem before but i'm free from it now (still use protection, though because HPV is there forever). so anyway, i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.