Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV - 21 day outbreak? - Why so long?
JV918 posted:
Hi Terri & Betsy,

Can you help me with this? I had my first genital OB in Dec 2007. I had my second OB on Dec13, 2011. My first OB was was at the urethra with three cluster bumps like the majority of pictures out there. This one is very different. It is two oval blisters (like the back of your heal - 1/4" & 1/8") They have not popped and have really not shrunk. I have taken the OB Rx recommendations and still the same. I have HSV 1 & 2.

Any thoughts? It does not hurt and is not oozing at all. I am giving it time, but wanted to check in since it is day 21. Thanks for all your help and support.

JV918

betsyo1967 responded:
you can have recurrences last this long but it's unusual. be seen and get a proper exam done to find out what is going on.

best of luck!
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

JV918 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thanks Betsy!!
I went to my Infectious Disease doctor the first week of the ob to check since it has been a couple of years since the initial ob. He told me then that HSV can come out in different forms like myn did. I can only assume he is correct since I have nothing else going on down there except HSV. I will make a follow-up appt at the end of the week if there is no change and make sure he examines and tests for anything else I was not aware of. "Kudos" to both of you for your support to the community.. JV

betsyo1967 replied to JV918's response:
I'd see your gyn, not the infectious disease doc. get properly tested for vaginitis while there too.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Betsy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I went to my dermatologist and it turned out to be Lichen Planus of the genitals. It was not a HSV outbreak. I will now deal with this piece of news... thanks again

typically the treatment for lichens is topical steroid cream. If you aren't already on daily suppressive therapy, not a bad idea to start it since steroids typically trigger herpes recurrences

Thanks Betsy!

To clarify, will the cream trigger an ob? or will oral steroids typically trigger ob's? I am on daily Valtrex, so I am covered there.

Thanks... Jeff

yes, steroids, both oral and topical, are known to make herpes more active. In studies with herpes on animals, that's actually how they trigger recurrences.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.