Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

recurring outbreaks even with medicine
hockey4u posted:
I have been living with herpes for 31 years. I have taken Valtrex (generic form also) for many years. I take a 1GM dosage and I am having frequent breakouts despite the medicine. This has been happening with in the last year or so. I just got over an outbreak and now it is back. I am wondering if I should stop taking the Valtrex for a while since it appears to me that my body has become immuned to it.

hockey4u responded:
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

betsyo1967 replied to hockey4u's response:
it's not likely your body has become immune to valtrex actually.

what sort of work up have you had recently?

are you male or female?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

hockey4u replied to betsyo1967's response:
female and if you mean stress as another word for work up then my stressful job may be the culprit. Because when I asked my doctor about more Valtrex he said 1 gm is the highest dose and that I needed to reduce my stress. That unfortunately is easier said than done. Is that what you meant about "work up"?
Can it be hormonal also? I think I am in the beginning stages of menopause. I went for blood work today for that.

betsyo1967 replied to hockey4u's response:
stress typically is not a trigger for most people. daily suppressive therapy would negate the effects of stress anyways.

yes it can be hormonal as well as you should be properly tested for bv, bacterial vaginitis.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.