Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes 1 genital
krb08 posted:
Hi! I was just diagnosed with Herpes 1 genital. I had a HORRIBLE breakout in the crack ( the only way I can say it) of my butt. The nurse practitioner said it was the worst case she had ever seen. She has me taking acyclovir every day to help maybe keep away any further outbreaks. I have been married to my present husband for 4 yrs, he was tested and he does not have it. My first husband is probably the one who I got it from. Those are the only two men I have been with. This is all new to me and I know you can get type 1 on this area, but can you get it there from having sex, or would it only be from oral sex, and would it necessarily be from just that area or could that just be where it presented itself? what are my chances of another outbreak since I am on the acyclovir 800 mg a day? Thank you for any advice I can get, on this and how do you overcome this change it puts in your marriage and sex life. I have a very understanding husband who loves me and supports me, but I cant help but feel bad for having to change our sex life with this. It really stinks!!!!

betsyo1967 responded:
even the best herpes blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. hard to tell if this was a recurrence for you or really was a new infection for you.

hsv1 genitally tends not to reoccur very often. we don't even recommend daily suppressive therapy for it unless you are one of the few who do get frequent recurrences with it. it doesn't shed much either even if your husband doesn't have hsv1.

typically hsv1 genitally is transmitted from oral to genital contact. It can be transmitted genitals to genitals but over 90% of the time, it's from oral sex. It can cause symptoms anywhere in the genital area, not just where actual oral to genital contact takes place.

I assume you had a lesion culture that was hsv1 positive as the way you were diagnosed?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

krb08 replied to betsyo1967's response:
No, I was in horrible pain with it when I went in to see the doctor and they took one look at it and said that it definately was herpes lesions and that she would do a blood test to make sure, this was like my 2nd opinion also. I had been on valtrex for several days at this point but it wasnt getting any better. I lesions were all the way down and split wide open and red sores with clear blisters. Very painful. The hsv 1 came back at 697 and hsv 2 was 36. I have finally healed completely, and am taking the acyclovir every day without hesitation!!!! Hopefully will never have another breakout again at least like that one anyway!!

betsyo1967 replied to krb08's response:
oh, unfortunate that they didn't do a lesion culture and typing A visual diagnosis only is never a good idea and honestly you really don't know if that is what it really was

are you in the US?

how long had it been since you had last had sex prior to your symptoms? if you have a regular partner, have they been tested for herpes yet?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.