How is this possible? After 25 years I show signs of HPV and genital warts?
An_242912 posted:
I need to understand this.. I'm hoping someone can help me out there. I'm very confused, scared and angry. I've been married for 25 faithful years to my 2nd husband. My first marriage was brief, my 1st husband was unfaithful and contracted genital warts. I was young and dumb and didn't totally understand or question any Dr's at the time. After our breakup I was tested for all the STD's, not really sure if HPV was one of them. I have had yearly GYN exams, pap smears and have a 20 year old son! Now 25 years later my Dr confirmed today I have HPV and genital warts. I guess I was in shock, because I left her office as quickly as I could and didn't ask a single question!! Now I'm questioning everything. Is it possible that this virus has laid dormat in my system for over 25 years? My current husband of 25 years doesn't appear to have any skin bumps, warts or anything. How is this possible?? If I have a visible genital wart why doesn't he?? Am I blaming the wrong man? ... I've read that the virus and genital warts take 3 days to 6-8 months to appear after being infected with the HPV virus , which leads me to the question, who did i catch this from husband #1 or husband #2 ? I'm hoping someone can help me understand this virus, laying dormant in my body for over 25 years is to scary to accept......

Latina_B responded:
Either husband might have had it and not known about it. You can still have HPV even if you don't show any signs.
~FieRce AgainsT LuPuS~

awesome52 responded:
I don't know if this will help;but my husband got a bad case of gential warts after we had been in a faithful relationship for 30 years. He was my only partner,he had other partners before me. He still says he didn't cheat,but looking back there are signs that say different. Our realtionship 4 years into this is still not good.

Ladyinforties responded:
Hi, I will share my experience with you as it is all I know. I am in my forties, I am in my second marriage and we have been together for 17 years. A little over a year ago, I had what I thought was a couple of episodes of a yeast infection over the course of 3 months. But, on the onset of these episodes, before I knew something had deffinately set in, I had intercourse with my husband, as a result of that, he had a few marks on his penis. Initially we assumed I had passed the "yeast infection to him" but he started to look up causes on the internet and came across pictures of herpes on a penis. Shockingly the pictures were the same. I have total trust in my husband so I do not question his faithfullness to me. I felt sick to my stomach because I worried that a stupid air headed decision I had made in college with this one guy, one night may be the cause of this. I let on that it wasn't possible but secretly got myself checked for different types of things. Finally a blood test checking for the Herpes Virus was positive. I have no numbers or anything to refer to like some people do, I didn't ask for any of that. I just thought at the time, well that's it, if I am positive, I'm positive , what more is there. My doctor explained to me that I was able to go more than 20 years without knowing it. Perhaps minor flare ups happened and I misunderstood it for something else or didn't even pick up on it at all. Or a person can just simply not have problems with it. Why now all of sudden? I don't know and neither did she. She said, it comes and goes when it wants. What really triggers it is never certain. Possibilities but nothing certain. So, this does not mean your 2nd husband has been cheating on you, but that is up to you to decide. Do you really want to go that route? Are you happy with your marriage? If he was or wasn't, you still need to learn how to go on and work with this new hurdle in your life. That is all it is, a curve ball. I have the most wonderful husband to stand by my side and understand these facts. It is a nuisance yes, but we want to learn to put up with it together. I was in denial that I needed to take a suppressent but I have realized I must do so on a daily basis as I have been pretty much getting a flare up on a monthly basis. Sometimes it can be from hormones, the monthly cycle. So I have just started taking them on a daily basis and hopefully it will cut down on the quantity of them. Anyways, I hope this helps. Take care.

awesome52 replied to Ladyinforties's response:
Herpes and HPV are 2 totally different things. Yes, herpes is a life sentence,but I don't think they have proven that hpv is. From what I read about hpv the body starts to clear the virus and if there is no signs within 2 years you are cleared.

lisa99 responded:
It has to be your current husband, happened to me married 12 years, was perfect wife, I got hpv from husband, he had spots 6 months after one night stand with stranger, I got it 4 months later. Then it went to my affected my cervix 2 years later. That was 27 years ago. Still with that husband, and still mad about it. I consider my husband a pig.

betsyo1967 responded:
is it likely that you had contracted hpv 25 years ago and it's just now showing cervical cell changes? indeed it is. is it likely any hpv infection from 25 years ago is just showing obvious genital warts? no it is not. what testing have you had done so far? did you have obvious genital warts? did they remove one and send it to the lab for exam to confirm hpv?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

awesome52 replied to lisa99's response:
Wow! Thank you for sharing, so the pain never goes away? If the pain never goes away,hope I am strong enough to leave.

awesome52 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thank you betsyo1967,for answering a question I have had for a few years.

lynn9463 responded:
Today I discovered that I have genital warts HPV and was totally confused upset why has this happened . I have been with my husband for 25yrs so how had I got them . Had he been unfaithful ? I had HPV 40 yrs ago and what a shock after all these years . I only realised they can recur after hours of searching I found this site and am relieved as I now know but 40 yrs I am astonished I was so scared that hubby had an affair now I know the facts

An_258836 replied to lynn9463's response:
I recently discovered HPV is what i have and the way i found out was my 23 year old son was told he got it,after being tested for stds years before after bouts of yeast infections.which we put down to his diabetes.weeks after he was diagnosed i felt symptoms all of a sudden.yes i thought straight away my hubby of 30 years marriage was unfaithful,ive been with him for 35years strait from 15years old.previously i was diagnosed 15 years ago with cerival cancer and now ive been told this is a sign also from hpv.why has this come out after so many years?
oh and my son got this through me in pregnancy,it doesnot go away at all.people also you may need t be checked anally too.
3 months later my husband is now showing signs.