Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Took Herpes serology and it came up postive, but it wasn't a type specific test so they couldn't tell me it was H1 or 2
An_242937 posted:
Hi everyone,

I just got my results back from the clinic that told me i ad been exposed to the herpes virus somewhere throughout my life. Like many other people I'am sure, i reacted with panic, and immediately asked if it was genital or oral herpes. They responded by telling me that didn't know, and that the test was only a general check up to see if i had ever been exposed to the virus like i mentioned before.

So now i know that the virus is dormant in my body, but the scary question i' anxious to know is, if it's oral or genital.

The issue is of course, that know one here on the forum can give me any real answers, but i was just wondering is H1 only connected to cold sores? And if so does that mean i must have genital herpes? Because in don't recall ever having a cold sore. Honestly forum i'm just scared and any info would help.

I also asked the lab assistant (who gave me the results) could the shingles that i had four years ago show up on the herpes serology test? Because i'm aware that Shingles is in the herpes family? So i was wondering if the test i took could be picking up on virus that caused the shingles, although i do know shingles isn't H1 or H2 could it still be picked up in the serology test?

Any info would be great thank you.

HiddenS responded:
I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to pretend I know everything about this, I was just diagnosed with HSV a few days ago. My first outbreak was immediate, the normal 3 days after intercourse, and we're still not sure if it's H1 or H2. The only place I had an outbreak was in the lower area. No cold sores, or anything oral.

I read that in some cases H1 can also affect the genitals, but more testing is required to be certain. In about a month, I need to go back to the doctor's office and get a blood test done. I thought that H1 was mainly cold sores but as I said, I read in rare cases it CAN be both, so I would ask your doctor.

I made a list of questions so I wouldn't forget anything. Unfortunately I don't know anything about shingles but I hope I provided some helpful information.

Good luck.

pitlove responded:
Hi,
I was diagnosed with HSV 1 about a month ago except I don't get gold sores, I have them in my genitals. So yes, HSV 1 can cause genital herpes. There's a lower chance of spreading it if you have type 1 and it doesn't reoccur as often as type 2, which is almost always in the genitals, but sometimes on the face. I got it from my boyfriend of now 16 months who had unknowingly been exposed to the virus as a child from a grandparent (his sister also has it). I got it from exposure orally. He has never had a cold sore, but apparently was shedding and I got it.
You could just have cold sores, but my boyfriend always got tested for STDs as he was an emt, and his HSV tests always came back negative. That may have only been for type 2 though.
My gynecologist told me that having type 1 creates an immunity against shingles because it is a strain of the virus, but I'm not sure if it would show on a serology test. Get a blood test done and they might be able to tell you what kind you have.

I wish I could tell you how to cope with the diagnosis, but I'm honestly trying to cope myself. I'm only 20 and my boyfriend is the first guy I've ever had sex with, and this is what happens. We were doing everything right too. We always used protection. Hope for type 1 though. Odds are you'll just get cold sores. Just be aware you can spread it to other's genitals and you can also pass it by sharing water bottle's and other things like that. I take medicines that suppress my immune system, so I've had two outbreaks in a month, which is uncommon. Odds are, that won't happen to you though. If you have type 1, you might only have one outbreak, or you may never have one.

I wish you luck.

pitlove replied to pitlove's response:
Of course that was cold sores not gold sores, though that would be a lot cooler.

elle0317 responded:
Sounds like they used the IGM testing method. Call them back and if they offer the type specific IGG blood test, have that one done instead. The IGM is useless/outdated but Dr's are still using it.

betsyo1967 responded:
if they couldn't tell you if it was hsv1 or hsv2 that was positive, then they did a non-type specific test which was a total waste of time and money Your provider should review the 2010 herpes testing guidelines from the CDC and learn which testing is worthwhile to order and what isn't. At this point all they've done is worry you needlessly.

repeat your testing with a type specific herpes igg blood test to get better anwers.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.