Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes help!!!
plycsh7 posted:
I found out last night at the gyno I have herpes. I feel shocked, scared, and ashamed. I feel so alone and now that I have this no guy is going to want to be with me and that is my fear that i'll never get married and if i have kids that i'll give it to them. I feel like my life is over been crying since i got home last night from the doctors I don't know what to do and on top of all this I have no medical benies so have to pay out of pocket and the meds i'm on for the outbreak is $70 and thats alot if I have breakouts 4 times a year plus the doctor visit cost me $200 for everything last night.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cheeks126 responded:
I understand exactly what you are going through right now. When I was diagnosed with herpes a couple of years ago my whole world came crashing down. I felt extremely depressed, ashamed, guilty, and completely disgusted with myself. I felt like my life was over and that no guy would ever be interested in me.
Since my diagnosis, I have experienced less outbreaks which makes it feel as if I don't even have the virus. Also, I have been in a relationship with a wonderful guy for the past couple years who accepts me for having this virus and doesn't judge me for it. He is very supportive and loves me for the person that I am. Having herpes isn't the end of the world even though if might feel like it is at first. Over time things will get much easier and you learn more positive ways to deal with this so that it doesn't control your life. All you can do is try and keep your head up and remain as positive as you can.
Whenever I feel down about having this I just remind myself that this virus isn't life threatening and can be treated. Even though there is no cure for this, I don't have a death sentence. There are so many people out there that are battling cancer, AIDS, and other terminal illnesses that can't be treated or cured. I hope this helps and I wish you the very best. If you need anymore help then please let me know.

plycsh7 replied to cheeks126's response:
Thank you so much for leaving me a message it does help and I hope I do have less outbreaks because I'm in so much pain right now and when I go to the bathroom I feel like I'm going to die from the pain. I do have a few Ques. though can you still kiss someone without giving them the virus while your going threw an outbreak at that moment? Also when you have an outbreak and your period at the same time is it ok to use tampons or not a good idea? I just want to be super careful now that i don't hurt myself further or give this virus to anyone. Like today this guy i'm dating he does not know yet and he wanted to kiss me and was not sure if that was a good idea so i told him no i have a cold so he would not kiss me.

cheeks126 replied to plycsh7's response:
Do you have HSV 1 or 2? If you have HSV 1 and have a cold sore on your mouth then it's very important to avoid kissing and refrain from any sexual activity like oral sex until it clears up completely. Kissing someone while you're having an active outbreak will spread the virus. Also, when on your period it's ok to use a tampon. You just want to be extra careful when touching that area. You want to wash your hands very good with warm water and antibacterial soap if your hands come into contact with any sores. Also, make sure that if you do accidentally touch a sore that you don't touch other places on your body because it can spread the virus. Some things that can help to reduce the pain are wearing loose clothing, taking ibuprofen, and taking a warm bath. You just want to make sure to keep things as dry and clean down there as possible. Also, avoid stress because this can trigger outbreaks. If you aren't able to afford medications like valacyclovir or acyclovir then I would recommend using a cheaper alternative called lysine. You can purchase this at any drug store and it just helps to strengthen your immune system so that you will experience less outbreaks. When I couldn't afford medication, I went to planned parenthood and they were able to get me medicine for much cheaper so that is another option. Hope this helps.

I did not have my blood test yet to let me know which one i have. I go this week coming up but my outbreak that i have right now is down south lol no sores in my mouth or on my lips. So it prob was safe to kiss this guy i'm dating? I will deff look into those meds you told me about. My outbreak i have right now is inside me like i cant see any sores.

As long as you don't have any sores on your mouth then it's safe to kiss the guy that you're dating. I would strongly recommend telling him that you have herpes. I know that it's scary because you don't want him to run away, but it's the right thing to do. Being honest is very important. I mean wouldn't you have appreciated it if the person that gave you this would have told you that they had herpes first before having sex with you? I know that I sure would have. Also, if your sores are inside it's extremely important to not have sex or have the guy that you're dating perform oral sex on you. It's not safe to have sex while having an outbreak because you can transmit the virus to him.

ya the sex part i got down and i would never have sex with an outbreak cuz ur in pain and in no mood to have sex well thats how i feel anyways. I prob will tell him i just think its soon we have not had sex yet and only been dating a month. Who ever gave it to me prob did not know they had it cuz i started having sex only 4 years ago and had sex with 4 guys 3 were bfs and the other is long time friend and the bfs i knew for awhile so it was not with someone i knew for a short time

betsyo1967 replied to plycsh7's response:
you and your partner will both need to seek out type specific herpes igg blood tests to see who has what.

did they also do any other std testing for you when you were seen? did they test for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too?

have you talked to your partner yet about this?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

betsyo1967 replied to betsyo1967's response:
also are you in the US? Acyclovir is far cheaper than valtrex if you were given a prescription for valtrex.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

plycsh7 replied to betsyo1967's response:
when i went to the doctors she looked down south took a swab of where it is sore and red and she said i deff have herpes and set me up for blood work for stds this week. I live in jersey and the meds i'm on for the outbreak is Valacyclovir. I just want to know how long does the outbreak last cuz i been taking the meds since thurs and I'm still in pain and I have been so wet down there to the point it looks like i peed my pants i have to change at least twice a day and i don't if its cuz of the outbreak or from the meds

MoBo77 replied to plycsh7's response:
Plycsh7,
I felt much the same when I found out I had herpes. You feel so disgusted and dirty... However, I told the man I was dating then about it and now we are married with a one year old....It's not always the end of the world! Good luck with this and know that you'll pull through. Please let your partner know as I wish someone would have told me if he knew so I wouldnt have it now.

Depending on the dose of Valacyclovir you are taking will determine how long it takes for your outbreak to clear. If this is your first outbreak then it can take up to 2 weeks for it to clear unfortunately. After that, every subsequent outbreak will be shorter and less painful. Try to keep things as dry as possible down there to help speed up the healing process. Wear cotton underwear and loose clothing. Hope this helps!

If you and this person decide to take your relationship to the next level, it's very important to let him know that you have herpes before engaging in any sexual activity. It's only fair for him to know so that he can protect himself from contracting herpes.

yes thats why I told him the next day and he called his doctor to get checked out he will prob know something at the end of this week. I was shocked cuz when I told him he was calm and did not run away. He told me his sister has it and that he understands and he would never leave me like that. So it turned out really well he held me cuz he saw how upset I was that made me feel even better so I might have a good guy in my life.

That's great news! I am glad that you got a good reaction after telling him. I hope that things work out and if you ever have any more questions or need help, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer based on my own personal experience.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.