Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HPV can it be contracted by a blood transfusion?
An_243526 posted:
recently I was confronted by better half who I have been seeing for 14 months... She had gone in for a routine check-up and was told that she has HPV .. of course she can on the attack at me, and of course accusing me... I had not been with anyone else since we had met.
But last July, I was in the hospital for a staff infection for about a month.
They had done a blood transfusion on me the first week that I was there.
Is it possible to contract HPV from a blood transfusion ?

elle0317 responded:
No, but it's possible you had it before you met her, or it's also very possible that she had it before you two met( if she's had previous partners, that is).

An_243584 responded:
What I've learned so far about HPV is that 1 out of 5 actually show symtoms of the virus -- also the symptoms can take months to a year to be visible. I understand her concern but you guys should go online and research stuff up. I just found out today that i have HPV and I've only had sex with one person. But I know that he could have been a carrier of the virus -- also it can be spread orally. Do some research and things should clear up.

cellbiologist responded:
It may be possible. Research in this area is scarce still, but some researchers have found the virus in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), so it's possible the virus could be transmitted in this way. As far as I know, I don't think this is a virus that's screened for in blood supplies...

Here's the link to the article I cited:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1287818/

CreativeWoman1 replied to elle0317's response:
That isnt true. Blood donations have not been being tested for HPV, so it is possible.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.