Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Oral
plycsh7 posted:
I just want to know I had my first outbreak over 3 weeks ago so is it ok to have oral sex with my bf or is oral sex not a good idea anymore since i have herpes type 2 and he does not.

elle0317 responded:
Is your HSV II gential? If so, then he is at no risk while receiving oral from you. He can still perform on you if he wishes too, he can slit open a condom and use that as a barrier while giving you oral sex.

An_243735 responded:
I'll give you the data I've learned researching this topic, which is contradictory at best. Some of the data says it's easier then you think to acquire oral HSV2, which he might get performing oral sex on you, but the percentage of those getting it is small, while other data says it's not. One lab test points out that the chance of getting oral HSV2 is so slim that it's almost 0% and, if you do get it, because it's not in its sight of preference, reoccurrences are rare or non-existent. However, that doesn't mean no one gets oral HSV2. I was on a site over the weekend where several people indicated that they had oral HSV2 and it was painful (outbreaks were common and it spread across their faces).

I think the message is that it is rare, but can happen (it seems HSV2 really likes its sight of preference better than HSV1 does, so it doesn't, normally, move away from that sight). Clearly, as the first person who responded to you about this subject says, using protection (a female dental dam) will help to protect your boyfriend.

plycsh7 replied to elle0317's response:
yes i have hsv 2 gential ya i doubt he or anyone would want to use a condom while going down on a woman. I guess i'm out with him going down on me man stinks because he is so good at it.

plycsh7 replied to An_243735's response:
ty for the info and the tip but i doubt i'll use a dental dam would not even know how to put it in right he will deff be using condoms so should be fine for sex but for oral i guess he won't go down on me i won't risk his health.

elle0317 replied to plycsh7's response:
The risk is very, very low for HSV2 to infect the oral area. I give my man oral sex without a condom (he's HSV I&II positive, I'm not) and we've been together for 6 years.

I suggested the condom thing because people do use this for oral sex and I suggested it over the dental dam because it's much thinner and allows the feelings to come through, why go the rest of you life with out oral, when you dont have to?

Sharayna2003 responded:
I would wait a bit for him to perform it on you. You can actually have HSV 2 in your oral cavity which I found very strange the first time I heard it, but it's possible. If you've never had it in your mouth, then you're fine to perform on him. Speaking from experience and from information given to me at my local health department where I was referred to.

plycsh7 replied to elle0317's response:
I just feel silly or stupid asking my bf to wear a condom on his tongue so he can go down on me so there is not much else you can do after that i guess

plycsh7 replied to Sharayna2003's response:
ya never had it in the mouth just had blood work done saying i have type 2 only so i know going down on him is fine and risk free but for him to go down on me is not for right now since i had my break out couple weeks ago. so how long should i wait till he can go down on me?

he doesn't actually wear it on his tongue. You slit the condom down the side and fold it open to cover your vagina.

When all your sores have healed and your skin as back to normal.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.