Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    tingling/burning in penis comes and goes
    musclestack posted:
    I'm really hoping that I can get some answers as to what's going on with me. I am a 27 year old male. About 5 weeks ago, I received unportected oral sex from a woman. About 3 weeks later, I noticed a 'tingling' feeling coming from the inside of my penis on the left side just behind the head. It didn't bother me at first, but in an attempt to 'flush' it out, I drank a lot of water a few days later. I started getting a burning/stinging sensation in the head of my penis. After that day, I went back to my typical amount of drinking water. Since then, I have the same stinging sensation in the head of my penis that comes and goes throughout the day. For example, I can feel it somewhat upon waking (mild), then I can go the whole morning without feeling anything. Sometimes, I even touch/massage my penis without feeling anything abnormal. Other times, I can feel the tingling sensation (although mild) in the same place just behind the head. Then, a lot of times, in the afternoons the stinging sensation comes back. It usually doesn't last very long; anywhere from a couple minutes to 30 minutes. I have found that the major trigger for this is when I'm sitting down (leaning forward). For the past couple of weeks, it always comes in the afternoons. I work outside, so maybe the heat/temperature has something to do with it?? Usually, I sit down for lunch, and often have meetings in the afternoons, so I'm seated during these times as well. I was thinking maybe it could be HSV1, but there are absolutely NO visible symptoms. I inspect my genitals and surrounding areas on a daily basis, multiple times a day. This started roughly 3 weeks ago, and it is not going away. I also feel that I itch more than I used to around my genital parts (this could also be a mind thing as well, because I feel that I itch everywhere i.e. neck, arms, buttock, etc). I have found that I rarely have the stinging sensation throughout the morning and at night (although sometimes I do, but much more mild compared to the afternoons).

    Anyways, I went to a urologist last week. I had an STD test done, and everything came back negative (blood and urine test). I realize the HSV would take up to 4 months for accurate results, and I don't think he tested for it anyway. I had an X-ray and sonogram done. The x-ray showed excess calcium, and the sonogram reported that I had turbid urine (particles in the urine). He put me on antibiotics, and I've been on them for 5 days now with no change in symptoms. I go back tomorrow for another checkup, and I will let you know what the doc says.

    Can you please tell me what might be going on here? Could this be a form of herpes? If so, why has it been going on for 3 weeks now? I imagine the antibiotics would've killed any bacteria by now. Have you ever had/heard of these symptoms before? If so, how do I get rid of/treat them? Please help me; I have lost my appetite (due to the stress) and have a hard time sleeping at night. I really need this diagnosed.

    Your help is much appreciated. Please keep me in your prayers as you will be in mine.
    santi1361 responded:
    I'm just curious if you ever got any answers? im experiencing the same exact thing. i keep getting this tingling/burning sensation and its really starting to freak me out. Any help or advice would be great.
    abe648 responded:
    IF you say that you believe that you did not get a herpes test done by the Uroligist. I think this has now been more than 3 months since you had the oral sex. So I think you should get a type specific igg blood test to see what yorr status is. ASk for a copy of your tests and if there is no numeric test results when you get them ask the Doc to call the lab and get a the nimeric test results and post them on here so we can help you with figuring out what your status is. The tingling could be herpes but the stinging pain does not sould like it is from herpes.

    Read the stuff in my signature line.
    Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at
    abe648 replied to santi1361's response:
    If it has been 3 months from your last sexual encounter then I would also recommend that you get a type specific igg blood test for HSV 1 & 2 to rule out herpes. The tingling could be herpes. Ask for a copy of the test results and post the numeric results here so we can help you. Please start your own post so we can give you your own reply.
    Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at
    ineedhelp920 responded:
    I'm having the same issue did you ever find out the issue please help asap
    abe648 responded:
    Let us know what the Uroligist says after your appt. The fact that it is going on for so long seems to be a bother for you. Once you have seen the uroligist perhaps you will have more answers.

    I would ask to get a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1 & 2 and ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here. It may be a bit early but at least you would have a point of reference and then when you hit the 3 month mark get tested again and post the numeric test results ere again.

    It is hard to say if it is herpes from what you describe and testing now and later will help answer this for you in the long run.
    Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at
    abe648 replied to santi1361's response:
    I would recommend that you start your own post so we can help you with your own concerns with exact info like this person did. It is rude to post on someone else's post.
    Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at
    Bond67 responded:
    Wow I have the same thing did you ever figure out what you have or had ?
    An_260598 responded:
    This could be urethritis or a UTI, although the antibiotic should have knocked that out. These symptoms could also be caused by irritation of the urethra and penile head due to a sensitivity or allergy to a soap, laundry detergent, fragrance or anything like that. Try using a sensitive skin shower soap and a hypoallergenic laundry detergent, and wear all cotton underwear. A penile health cream like Man1 Oil might also help ease the itching - just apply it to the skin, though - not in the urethra.
    seanhh responded:
    Good call getting the STD test. Have you tried using a penis health creme? These cremes are made to treat all sorts of skin issues down there. A good creme will contain Vitamins A, D and E and might really help with that tingling. Check 'em out. Good luck.

    Helpful Tips

    positive results
    I had unprotected sex with a woman 3 weeks before I had this tests done. here are my results: HSV 1/2 IGG HERPESELECT HSV 1 IGG ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.