Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Negative blood results for HSV-1 with cold sores
An_244979 posted:
How is it possible that my partner has had reoccurring cold sores since before I met him but has received negative results on his HSV-1 & 2 bloodwork?

elle0317 responded:
Which test did they use? The IGM is not a reliable testing method, if this is the one they used I would recommend to be tested again using the IGG type specific blood testing.

userm replied to elle0317's response:
I am not sure of the type as it was a "standard" test administered by a local planned parenthood. I know the results came back with results of <.05 and <.091 or something of the sort and were translated as "essentially negative". I don't know if this is helpful.

Unfortunately, after recently deciding to stop the usage of condoms in hopes of expanding our family and after multiple years of being committed, I am currently experiencing my first full blown vaginal outbreak (diagnosed as herpes 2 days ago). Neither of us can understand how you begin with two negative tests and end up with vaginal herpes in a monogamous relationship. I am praying the consistent occurrence of cold sores on his mouth since before I met him can help explain the discrepancy between the initial results and current situation.

userm replied to userm's response:
I was able to confirm we both had negative type-specific IGG tests done when we met and I can also confirm he had cold sores prior to that test and has had them since.

Does this make any sense? False negative in this case?

abe648 replied to userm's response:
How were you diagnosed that you have a HSV genital ob? Do you know what type of HSV you have genitally? If the diagnoses has not been confirmed as HSV 2 then it is possible that you may have HSV1 genitly as your ob now. It is not to common to get HSV 1 genitally when you have HSV 1 orally but it can happen. The good news is that if you have HSV 1 genitlly then you most likely will only get one more ob in the first year and then on average you will get an ob approx once every two years. Has it been confirmed which type you have?
Life can go on with Genital Herpes. If you are alone then there is someone who will love and accept you even with Genital Herpes. :-)-

CANOGAPARK responded:
There are some good research papers regarding HSV1 prevalence and testing at this website: www.viradux-coldsore.com . I have been using their lip balm and not had a single sore in 8 months. Hope this helps!

userm replied to abe648's response:
To follow-up, I do have HSV 1 genitally. It was passed along from my partner who has oral HSV 1. His initial test results were misleading. All is well these days.

Thanks for your help. I have not had a recurrence to date.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.