Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Genital Herpes
    An_208406 posted:
    How in the world do you know if you had genital herpes for years or if the guy had it for years and gave the disease to you? I recently have been seeing this guy for the past two years and just recently had sex with him. A few weeks later I have itching and burning with urination, and red skin in the genital area. But a 7-8 months ago I had an anal rash that came and then would go away. Then would come and go for months.No doctor did any cultures whatsoever! Pathetic! I went to a gynecologist and she cultured me but not for Genital Herpes. So then she send me to an Infection Control Doctor who did a Viral culture and put me on Famvir TID for 7 days. It has helped but it still itches. Oh and I find out this week the culture results. But I am certainly not optimistic at all! I am very saddend by this. I want to know who gave who this? I haven't been with another man in like 14 years and that guy used a condom back then!! So is this new guy definately the culprit? I care about him lots and do not want to lose him! How do I tell him?? I know I have to.
    Was this Helpful?
    8 of 20 found this helpful
    911STD responded:
    Can anyone answer my questions for me on this?
    chddb1 replied to 911STD's response:
    No testing to determine how you contracted the virus only that you have it. I would drop that thought process of who gave it to you, and concentrate on controlling, managing, and living with HSV.
    betsyo1967 responded:
    has your current partner been tested for herpes? if not, that's your next step.

    did your viral culture come back as herpes positive? if so, was it hsv1 or hsv2?
    Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

    Helpful Tips

    positive results
    I had unprotected sex with a woman 3 weeks before I had this tests done. here are my results: HSV 1/2 IGG HERPESELECT HSV 1 IGG ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.