Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
boxers or briefs?
geokeith posted:
this may be a dumb question to you guys, but I am always curious about how many guys prefer one kind of underwear over the other and if there is any reason; i wore boxers for years until i started having aching in my testicles; now i wear briefs (tighty whiteys); which take care of the aching, but i get a lot of jock itch, especially in the summer; i confess i miss the "freedom" of boxers;
wondered if anyone would care to share their underwear preference or advice...

jrocker85 responded:
boxer briefs hate to sit on my balls jumping into the car or at work, but do love the freedom of boxers so go back and forth depends on the day... strated to freeball again like when I was a kid ,,, there was a thread about that subject in the posts

stev1022 responded:
It all depends on my mood.....
sometimes I wear boxers.... sometimes I wear bikini briefs. I am always glad to get home and shed my bikini briefs and let the boys free after being bundled up all day long. Other times I wear boxer briefs...... boxer briefs are my favorite. I will from time to time free ball too.... ususally at home while wearing shorts in the summer... have free balled at work too, but not too often.
I consider myself fortunate as I have never had an issue with jock itch.

Questions for you Geo - do you shave your balls and shaft at all? If not, would that help with your jock itch at all? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but is it a possibility?

geokeith replied to stev1022's response:
thanks buddy,

no i have never shaved down there....interesting thought tho...might help; probably if i shed a few pounds that might help more; i am a pretty husky guy and my fat thighs probably sweat extra and keep the moisture in the folds; perfect for the itch to develop; i bought a pack of boxer briefs and liked them; but after a long day, still had aching balls on occasion; i wondered about wearing my jock strap on extra hot days;holds my balls up but no brief elastic in my crotch/thighs;

course i would miss the fly when i went to take a piss...lol

thanks for responding; i do freeball at home some myself; nothing like it

doogood responded:
Geokeith - have you tried a suspensory type of underwear? It's like a jockstrap that holds the boys while it has a hole that lets your dick fly free. Check out undergear or international jock for different types of under garments. Personally I like trunk style - a sort of shorter legged boxerbrief, and with a cotton spandex blend of material. These give me support while are not too snug so they don't allow breathing. Also the cotton spandex blend allows for wicking away moisture. I like boxers only when thats all that I;m wearing. I can't stand all that loose material flapping around under my pants. As far as the shaving, I'd be careful since you mention that you've got a little more skin in that area that tends to hold in the moisture. Those hairs growing back in rubbing against skin is not going to be comfortable.

geokeith replied to doogood's response:
I went and bought one and really like it; do you usually wear boxers or boxerbriefs with it or just let your dick swing free in your pants?

gives great support; have had no aching in my balls

doogood replied to geokeith's response:
Great to hear that it worked for you! I like just go with the suspensory, it makes a great contrast - cupped balls and dangling cock - just watch out for the zipper! I suppose you could go with a pair of boxers over it to give you the best of both worlds. But hey - I say let it hang!

longduckdong46 replied to doogood's response:
I guess I just like all the particulars as snug as a bug. So its briefs for me.
This is sort of related if any of you like to swim, beach or pool ? but have you ever gotten that rash that develops on the head of your wad, which I believe is caused by the mesh that is used in swimming trunks ?
Mine gets really sore.

Any ideas ?

jrocker85 replied to longduckdong46's response:
Remedy, No liner swim trunks go loose and see how it feels, I use a tank boxer speedo under trunks at the beach and just that for laps in the pool seems to work out well for me.

longduckdong46 replied to jrocker85's response:
Hey thanks and that makes alot of sense to me .
I do have a resort trip coming up soon and there will be alot of swimming in the mix and I hate that chaffing feeling down there.

doogood replied to longduckdong46's response:
hah! Sorry I had to comment on your screen name! I'm guessing it's a reference to 16 candles and the foreign exchange student - right? If not I guess I'm showing my age. And back to the post - I agree that the tighter the fit the less chance there is for needless rubbing and chaffing. What about a swimmer jock? They have a smaller waist band and do the job of keeping everything in it's place? then again you might still have an issue with nubby material rubbing where you don't want it. I say go with the loose material and let it all hang!

Lavorcia replied to doogood's response:
boxers

mintjulip3 replied to stev1022's response:
Shaving eveerything is something you might want to think about. It feels so much better, no worries about zipper getting caught in the hair. I tried it and loved the feeling and my wife did the same thing. We both agree sex is a lot better, Not as hot in warmer weather. I would highly recommend you try it once. Once you've had it you'll never go back to your old ways.

longduckdong46 replied to doogood's response:
I think we are both showing our age as that is exactly where I picked up the screen name. Good catch !

jmgg5000 responded:
wear boxers they feel good. of course if i am just at home i often just walk around house naked its just me and my wife and she likes to see me naked. let my penis free as often as i can

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 66 years old. I have had ED for about 7 years. It has gotten worse. I used to be able to get it up with pills but the pills don't work any...More

Helpful Tips

3 Year Relationship
if you have this kind of relationship with your masseuse and your in a state where genital massage is not permitted maybe she likes you but ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.