Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Dark circles under eyes
jermanda23 posted:
I'm 26 years old and looking for a product/treatment to help with dark circles and puffiness under my eyes. I don't have wrinkles, so I'm not looking for some product that helps fight aging or wrinkles in any way. I've just noticed these dark patches under my eyes looking more and more pronounced over the past couple of years and I'd like to look a little better. I always look exhausted.

As side notes, my skin type is very oily and I still have bad acne and uneven skin, so I'd need treatments that don't interfere with my existing skin issues. Does anyone have some suggestions? Is it just genetics, diet related or something else? I get at least 8 hours of sleep at night but I'm always tired regardless of how much sleep I get so I don't know if that's the problem. I'm healthy and active, I have a 16 month old son so when I was pregnant I always had blood tests done and I'm perfectly healthy. Any thoughts?

campokelly responded:
feel what you are saying im 43 with dark circles some days it looks like i got punched in the eyes ive tried creams and lotions but i still look tired all the time and like you i dont look my age but i cant get rid of the circles ive had them all my life i need help i cant deal with looking beat up all the time sleep vits cream dont help help us

Susan Evans, MD replied to campokelly's response:
Dear jermanda23 and campokelly,

Dark circles, puffiness, and eye bags, are common complaints in my practice. The most common cause is related to untreated allergies and sinus irritation that leaves the nose eye area boggy. In other cases, it's related to underlying skin problems that leave darkness behind. Also genetics can predispose you to having under eye bags, from the accumulation of fat under the eyes.

When acne treatment contains a skin lightener, then the under eye can appear darker relative to the medically treated lighter area. Underlying health issues, should be addressed first before brightening the under eyes. After which the under eye needs vasoconstriction, brightening, and protection from the sun with an SPF 30 sunscreen.

Compression and cool temperature are inexpensive ways; wearing eye compression pads at night which help decrease eye puffiness, and placing something cool (not frozen) on the eye area. Also removing alcohol from your routine will help tighten the vessels and brighten the under eye area. Licorice extract and vitamin K are two of my favorite brighteners when used in formulations to brighten the fragile eye area to look healthy and beautiful!

Dr. Susan Evans

Traci1986 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I am 24 years old and I have had severe dark under eye circles since I was in the 5th grade. Diet, sleep, eye creams have done nothing to help. I have been tested for allergies and I do not have any, I am sure they are genetic but my dad does not have them at all and my mom has puffy eyes but they are not nearly as dark as mine. I have very fair almost transparent skin so you can see every vein under my skin. Is there any cosmetic solution or miracle cream that will help? I am willing to do anything at this point. My daughter is only 6 and I can already see that she is starting to get them, I would like to find a solution that works so that she does not have to live with this forever too.

Anita6041 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Isn't Vitamin K is a coagulant and is able to clot the blood?

Gidgygirl responded:
Since no one else seems to be giving you a solution, just more gripe... I have the same problem as you darlin' and I'll tell you what worked for me.

Before, I used a white concealer stick. I'd swipe it along the inside of my eye in the crease between my eye and nose and then the underside of my eye, and then blend it in very well. As long as i didn't cover it over with my foundation, it didn't look near as dark and actually brightened my eyes up.

Now, and I can't remember the exact name of it, I use a product for under eye darkness and bags by Clinque. Just find the Clinque counter at your local Macys and they should have this stuff handy. It's really light, but just a touch greasy, and will hold your foundation well for hours. They say put a pea-size amount on first thing in the morning and last thing before you go to bed and it will reduce the darkness. And with me, IT TOTALLY WORKS and I do NOT work for these people!!!

The ingredients include many of the things found in green tea, so your skin shouldn't - I would think - break out because of it.

Hope this helps.

JHelwig194700 replied to Gidgygirl's response:
Thanks Giddygirl !!!!! I have tried everything too-to no avail. I will give Clinque a try! Thanks

clairejohn responded:
Dark circles are connected to the kidneys so make sure you drink plenty of water. Dehydration is one of the main causes for dark circles. Also with the puffiness, do you use eye creams really close to the eyes? you should always apply eye creams around the occipital bone of the eye and no closer as the product will automatically seep in towards the eye area as your eyes move so applying eye cream or moisturizer to close to the eyes can actually make puffiness worse.
Hope this helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.