Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Skin Issues - Post Hysterectomy
An_207926 posted:
I am 3 months post-hysterectomy - cervix and uterus removed; still have ovaries. My Ob/GYN advised that my ovaries may go dormant for a brief period, which they did but I only had a few weeks of hot flashes, sleep issues and some minor emotional ups and downs. That has all subsided, but I now have acne like I have never had in my life! In addition to the acne on my face it is spreading to my chest, and my skin on my neck and arms feels 'crepey'. Help! A friend suggested HRT or utilizing the OC I had been taking (Femcon) for years. Ideas?

I take 2,000mg of DHEA Fish Oil; 1500mg Calcium, Vit D; Complex B with C daily. Non-smoker, rare caffeine.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon_153749,

Following a hysterectomy, your hormonal levels may be affected. Acne breakouts may occur if your estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone levels are not in balance.

I would suggest that your first step is to meet with your endocrinologist or OB/GYN and obtain a complete hormonal panel. Once your hormonal status is addressed, treating your acne will be easier.

Best,

Dr Evans

Momoftripletsplusone replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I am 3 1/2 months post surgery. I was hollowed out, everything removed and am not taking HRT. I have very mild hot-flashes approx. once or twice a day. Other than that the only issue I aam having is acne. This is most troubling as I am single and dating. Is HRT really necessary? Is their another way to clear up this acne?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to Momoftripletsplusone's response:
You need a great dermatologist in your area to help you through this tough time!

There are many ways to improve the acne and keep your skin looking youthful and radiant using topicals, chemical peels, and laser technology. You do not need to take HRT for your skin to be great

The American Academy of Dermatology has a great website that allows you to search for board certified dermatologists in your area.

I hope that helps.
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.