Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
How to get rid of stretch marks?
kuzahi posted:
I was thin when I was still a child but during my puberty years I grew big and that's where I started to notice the silvery lines in my upper thighs. How do iget rid of them?

DetoxGuru responded:
Try MAgnesium chloride cream. Works wonders

David A Colbert, MD responded:
Dear kuzahi,

It sounds as if you are referring to stretch marks, medically referred to as "striae." Striae are a common occurrence, particularly during times of rapid growth/ weight gain/ weight loss.

Creams are minimally effective for striae. The best treatment is laser therapy. The pulse-dye laser is excellent for red striae. A non-ablative fractional laser (such as the Fraxel) is excellent for the silvery- white striae.

Find a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to perform your laser treatments and you will be very happy with the results.

mendezwife replied to David A Colbert, MD's response:
Dr. Colbert
I had twins 1 month ago, I got no stretch marks but the brown line that appears under the belly button & on down...but I also got the line above the belly button....its still there, how do I get rid of the line & does cocoa butter help dimish the line? With my other 2 pregnancies the line went away pretty quick. I did get bigger with the twins, is that why the line is taking a while to go away?
Any info would be great. Thank you.

mendezwife replied to mendezwife's response:
Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to mendezwife's response:
Hi mendezwife,

Congrats on having twins!
the brown line that runs on your abdomen from pregnancy is called a linea nigra and it's caused by hormones. With time, the line will fade and disappear like a tan. How long it will take, I don't know. With me, it did take a couple of months to disappear. I remember that it peeled off like a fading summer tan!

Since it's spring and summer is a few months away, I would also suggest protecting your skin from sun exposure so that the line doesn't get darker or come back easily.

This article may be helpful:

Pregnancy Skin Care: Get That Glow!

- Annie
Sign up for the weekly WebMD Skin and Beauty newsletter to get timely information sent to your email inbox!

David A Colbert, MD replied to mendezwife's response:
Dear Mendezwife,

The line that you are referring to is called linea nigra, latin for "black line". This line may appear during pregnancy as a result of hormonal changes. These changes are also responsible for darkening of freckles/nevi/areola.

Most often this line will fade within a few months post-pregnancy but occasionally it will persist. Sunscreen is important to prevent further darkening of the area and most of the time no treatment is necessary.

An_207930 replied to David A Colbert, MD's response:
Ok, I have three kids and my line never went away. My last child is 3 and I am still walking around with this line. If it doesn't go away on its own, then what do you do? Thanx

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Acne breakouts
Just wanted to pass along a tip for clearing acne breakouts. I found a herbal product that is called Acne Clear Results by Terra Therapies. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.