Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Bikini Wax Side Effect?
An_207936 posted:
Last week my friend used an at home bikini waxing kit on me. She always waxes her friends so i trusted her. While we were at it we waxed my eyebrows and thighs. But, my right bikini line remained very red and became raw and has now turned a brownish color, but is no longer raw. I haven't worn underwear and have only worn loose clothing. I also applied ice right away and then a soothing aloe for when people get sun burn. After that, for 2 days I applied triple antibiotic ointment. It is doing a lot better, still a little tender, but I am worried about the brown mark I have. Can someone tell me what this is? How it happened? Will it go away? Did I burn myself or something because the wax wasn't hot?

Thank you!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_81474,

Did the wax tear at your skin? Be cautious when using any type of hair removal method like waxing or depilatories as some skin types may be too sensitive for these products. Waxing removes the hair at the root and it can also removes the very top layer of skin along with it.

You may want to see a doctor if your skin is injured or the skin color has changed..

Read more about hair removal methods in this blog by Dr Susan Evans from last summer:

Secrets of Stress-Free Hair Removal

Check out the Healthy Skin blog for more helpful tips by Dr Evans.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

- Annie
Sign up for the weekly WebMD Skin and Beauty newsletter to get timely information sent to your email inbox!

mje061091 replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much! My skin thank goodness recovered and is all cleared up. Next time I will be more cautious because I think I did upset the skin in that area temporarily.

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to mje061091's response:
You're welcome mje061091,

I'm glad you are doing better!

- Annie
Sign up for the weekly WebMD Skin and Beauty newsletter to get timely information sent to your email inbox!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.