Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Hair vitamins
sally1688 posted:
Alright, so this may be a silly question, but I'm thinking of taking hair vitamins. I've read positive reviews on GNC hair vitamins, and people have said their hair grew longer.

My question is, if I begin taking hair vitamins will I start to have more body hair/will my body hair grow thicker and faster? I obviously want the hair on my head to grow, but definitely not on my arms or legs!

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
sally1688,
This is a very interesting question. In my practice I have many patients taking Biotin, which is the major ingredient in the hair vitamins, and while they often get thicker hair and stronger nails, no one has complained of excessive body hair growth.

a_jaye7 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
So no one has complained. Thats good, but is that a clear yes or no? Bc Im the same way, I dont want it to grow on my arms or legs anymore then it does..lol. I dont have a problem with my hair being to thin but added thickness & growing longer would be nice..

luvinlyyfe responded:
I have been taking biotin for 2 years now. I haven't had an increase in body hair or anything like that lol. The one thing I did notice is that my eyebrows seem to grow back quicker (no biggie) and my chin/neck hairs grow back faster (ewww...and very annoying), but something very easy to handle. Other than that the benefits definitely outweigh the cons. My nails are so thick, healthy and long. My skin has cleared up considerably since I started taking vitamins. The hair on my head comes in much thicker, I can't really tell if it is making my hair grow faster our not, but I do see a deifference in the health of my hair. Hope that helps!

WANTFITNESS replied to luvinlyyfe's response:
luvinlyyfe,
May I ask you what kind (brand) of biotin you use?? Sometimes different brands can yield different results.

WANTFITNESS replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
(Please disregard previous post as I addressed it to the wrong person!)

Dear Dr. Buchness,

May I ask what brand of biotin you typically prescribe to your patients? I have tried one brand in particular which had rave reviews, but was disappointed as it did not produce any favorable results. Are there any brands you would recommend or that are deemed reliable?

Thank-you

luvinlyyfe replied to WANTFITNESS's response:
Hi Wantfitness,
I haven't really stuck to a brand. My first year, I took Sundown Naturals Biotin 7500 mcg. I got good results from that. I am currently taking Nature's Best Biotin 5000mcg and still seeing good results. I haven't really seen a different effect by using a various brands.
However, I have heard that a certain blood type doesn't absorb biotin as well, maybe Dr Bucheness will know more about that. I heard that this blood type should take a Vitamin B-complex vitamin in addition to taking biotin as a way to absorb the biotin better. Also, it does take some time to see results, so make sure you wait 3-4 months to see visible results. I saw a difference in my nails within a month, but it took like 3 months to notice that my hair was indeed alot thicker. Like I said before I can't really tell if its making my hair grow faster, but I will continue to take it, it will always be apart of my vitamin regimen.

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD replied to WANTFITNESS's response:
I don't have a brand preference. Since vitamins are not regulated by the FDA like drugs are, there is no way to know whether an individual brand contains the full dose that it says. If you didn't do well with one brand, I would try a different one. Remember, you can't judge the response for 6-12 months for hair, and 3-6 months for nails.

mstinamai responded:
I'm experiencing hair loss and been taking the GNC women's Ultra Norish-Hair supplement with 1200 mcg of Biotin for about a month now. Haven't seen any improvement at all. I wonder if I should continue taking it for the next few months. My hair's still falling off like... crazyy!!! I've done everything that I could but there's no improvements whatsoever. While taking that GNC hair supplements my facial hair did not grow nor arms and legs hair.

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD replied to mstinamai's response:
mstinamai,
You won't notice a difference from taking Biotin for 6-12 months. I would double the dose that you are currently taking, and if you are having a sudden and large amount of hair loss, consider seeing a dermatologist. There may be a medical reason for it.

postmark replied to WANTFITNESS's response:
what brand of biotin works?

postmark replied to luvinlyyfe's response:
I an b positive blood type. Do I need another vitamin to go
with biotin?

postmark replied to mstinamai's response:
Is the hair loss genetic or from chemo side effect?

CindyMidas responded:
I take Biotin for nails and hair...recommended by my manicurist and hairdresser...Buy it at any drug store...

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Acne breakouts
Just wanted to pass along a tip for clearing acne breakouts. I found a herbal product that is called Acne Clear Results by Terra Therapies. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.