Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
acne problems!
An_207958 posted:
HELP! I have recently noticed lots of changes in my face in the past year. I am an 18 year old female and I have combination, sensitive skin. I have stubborn acne, along with small white bumps along my face. I have also noticed my face is suddenly very hairy around my cheeks. I have tried every product on the market. What's going on?

blueembers responded:
I am hairy to lol, but its a fine white very pale hair, it is most common in hormone changes. like if you have recently started taking birthcontrol or other hormone related pills, or changed you diet. or you can just be a late bloomer. i have found it best to get a face trimmer and cut it down but not all the way for say with a razor, due to skin irritations or break outs, but if you do want it gone all the way use a hair removal creme' they work best for faces (females that is) i hope this helps

Susan Evans, MD responded:
I am so sorry to hear about your challenges with acne.Acne can be devastating .There is definitely a hormonal component with acne that can influence abnormal hair growth. Make sure that your Physician is checking a metabolic panel and hormonal levels.
Best
Dr Evans

tina_rose responded:
Are you taking the supplement DHEA? I have found that it causes what you are describing. DHEA deals with hormones and increases the ones you put out when you are young. You probably just have an increase in certain hormone levels. I agree with the doc... have your hormone levels checked. I use Retin A to keep my acne under control because i use DHEA. Without the Retin A i couldnt take the DHEA...and without the DHEA i feel OLD...and tired and foggy cognitively. See if Retin A is for you. The long term benifits are a lack of wrinkles.... which i love since i am 52 ... and look 35 :)

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.