Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Twisting finger Nails
dawns61 posted:
My finger nails grow slightly then they start to twist on me and get very painful. I keep cutting them down and they're very hard nails. Is their any reason they might be twisting on me or is there something I can do to get them to stop twisting ?
Thank you

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Hi
I am not sure what you mean by "twisting "infection?
please upload an image?
I will be happy to review
Your fingernail can sometimes give clues into your overall health
Here is a link discussion I did on nail health
on the Doctors and today show.
http://drsusanevansdermatology.com/skin/fingernails

dawns61 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Thank you I will upload pic shortly I had just cut them back again when I first posted this but now they are starting to twist again,no infection ,they just start twisting,

dawns61 replied to dawns61's response:
I cant figure out how to copy my pic onto this page could you please help me so I may send you a pic of my nails ?
Thank you

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to dawns61's response:
Hi Dawns61,

To copy or post a picture, photo or image first upload the pic to a service like PhotoBucket, then link it with the URL.

Use the camera icon at the top of the reply box to link the URL.

Be careful when registering with photo upload services. Do not use your name as the user name. When clicking on the photo and Properties your user name will show.

Also, if you try to link images from Facebook, these are automatically blocked, because members clicking on your images would have access to your Facebook profile.

Please let me know if you have any questions,
Elizabeth

dawns61 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Here are the pics of my nails. I hope this turned out for you to see,thank you so much .
Dawn

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to dawns61's response:
Hi Dawn,

The pics did not attach. Please try again.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

dawns61 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
class=post_img />

my pic turned out if you would like to take a look. its mostly on my ring fingers that start to bend and then turn.
Thank you
Dawn

My pic has been posted now for several mo's but never received a reply ,can you please help me? Thank you and Happy Hollidys.

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD replied to dawns61's response:
Dawn,
2 questions-
Have your nails always done this?
Did you ever have any injury to those fingers or nails (like a car door accident or an injury from a manicure?)

dawns61 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
No,I've never had any of those things happen, it started maybe a yr. and 1/2 ago and I've never had any accident with them or anything. Thank you.
Dawn

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD replied to dawns61's response:
It's really odd for this to just start twisting like that in adulthood. It usually means that something has injured the growing part of the nail, called the matrix, which sits under the cuticle and on top of the bone at the end of the finger. If there is a university hospital near where you live, I would make an appointment in the dermatology clinic there. They probably have someone who specializes in nail problems. The only solution is a surgical procedure to re-orient the nail matrix, or to keep cutting the nails short before they become painful. I'm sorry that there's no easy answer. Let us know what happens.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.