Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Loose neck skin
elisamatt posted:
My facial wrinkles aren't so bad, but I am starting to form 'jowls'--they're little now, but I don't like the trend.

Also my neck skin is getting looser--at some point this could become the dreaded "turkey neck."

Is plastic surgery the only answer for this?

Thanks.

David A Colbert, MD responded:
Dear Elisamatt,

There are plenty of effective non-surgical procedures available in addition to plastic surgery. For loose neck skin, you may consider a tightening laser, botox/dysport or combination.

For "jowls", there are hyaluronic acid and hydroxylapatite fillers to improve this problem.

caroll48 replied to David A Colbert, MD's response:
Is Thermage a procedure that works and what type of laser works on the loose neck skin

lundellhull replied to caroll48's response:
Thermage is not recommended very often any more. Not only is it a very painful procedure, despite the numbing cream used on the face prior to the treatment, but it was found that the laser actually was depleating the fat stores in the facial area and causing even more hollowness and aging to be apparent. The skin on the neck is much thinner than the face and even chest. The Thermage again, would not be the best choice in this area. I would recommend a few things:

1. Botox is of a help in this area, by actually putting some units in the lower jowl area, along the jaw bone, because it causes the Platysmal muscle, which is the large sheath of muscles that extend from the underneath jaw to the shoulder area, and actually PULL DOWN on the face and cause the lower face to drag downwards, causing the extra slin of the neck to look even more saggy and luse. When Botox relaxes this sheath of muscles, the face actually looks younges, as a lifing effect appears to happen in the lower face and neck area.

2. Dermal fillers such as Radiesse applied along the jowl area also add structure to this area, and give the neck added support, thus appearing to have less sagging in the neck area.
\
3. Fractional laser technology can also be used in this area, resulting in more of a tightened appearance and collagen regeneration. This can be used with both dermal fillers and Botox for added benefit

4. A simple surgical procedure involving the tightening of the muscles responsible for lifting up the lower face can also be preformed by a Plastic Surgeon for a more permanent solution

caroll48 replied to lundellhull's response:
Thank you for your response. Do you feel Thermage works on other parts of the body like arms and thighs?

As we grow older and have abused our skin by sunbathing is there anything that truly works to tighten the skin on the body with the exception of a surgical procedure?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.