Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
please help!!!! terrible acne!
An_207968 posted:

I have posted in other community forums but have not gotten any advice yet....
After getting off the pill in January, I have had HORRIBLE acne on my face. Not just whiteheads and blackheads galore, but also big painful red cysts that leave scarring. This is really terrible and it is ruining my otherwise happy life. I have NEVER had this before, as a teen i had some pimples here and there like normal but never anything like this. I understand its hormonal, but how can I be getting acne like this at age 26?!! My face looks like a 13 year old boy. Its disgusting and it is making me very depressed. I have been to TWO different dermatologists, and tried dozens of different topical products (both prescription and over the counter) and NOTHING has worked. I can't take any of the powerful acne meds since I am trying to conceive, but I refuse to believe there is nothing else out there that can help, perhaps some natural solutions or something.
Please help!!! This is really affecting me emotionally and I am getting more and more depressed every day :(
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

I wanted to welcome you and pass along some information while waiting for possible responses from other members or experts.

Dealing with Adult Acne - Video
Acne Remedies - Video
Adult Acne Treatment

Please let me know if this is helpful,
Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear Anon,
The good news is that when you conceive, the acne may improve dramatically. The type of acne that you describe will probably not respond to topical treatment, especially the limited topical treatment that is available for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive. This type of acne originates deep in the skin and is much more likely to respond to oral treatment. As far as natural treatment, there are prescription vitamins containing nicotinamide that are very effective in some people with severe acne. Two brands that are available are Nicomide and NicAzel. You can also see a dermatologist for cortisone injections into the large, painful lesions. This is safe even in pregnancy. Some doctors will allow their patients to take oral erythromycin in pregnancy, but this is up to your Ob/Gyn. You are not alone-most of my patients with acne are women in their 20's and 30's. Once you have your children, the treatment can get more aggressive. The most important thing for you now is to find a dermatologist who is willing to work with you and not give up! Good luck.
An_207969 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
Thank you so much Dr.Buchness!! You have given me some hope :) I am going to make an appt. and ask about those meds asap!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.