Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
cut myself shaving
inpainhelp posted:
I have cut my armpits while shaving with a cheap razor, they are very sore and red and it has been over a week and is not healing. Any ideas of what to help with the pain and healing. I have tried, Neosporin, Bactine, Eucerin cream? I am at a loss.

MissCaptainKirk responded:
I think the problem is actually your antiperspirant (which I am assuming you wear). Antiperspirant has aluminum in it, which causes irritation, especially on sensitive or broken skin. Instead of antiperspirant use deodorant, preferably an all-natural one. I know that they sell Tom's and Burt's Bees deodorants at Wal-Mart.
I would actually not put anything on your armpits for a couple days to let the skin heal and whatever you do, don't wash them with scented soap. Then use the deodorant for a while and then you could switch back to antiperspirant when your skin heals. (But plan ol deodorant is better for you )
Good luck!

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear inpainhelp,
I am concerned that you may have developed an infection from the cuts. You should see a dermatologist if this hasn't gotten better. The other thing that commonly happens is that people develop an allergy to one of the creams that they're applying to help the problem in the first place. This is very common with Neosporin and the over-the-counter creams and gels that end with "caine" or "dryl". This is another problem that a dermatologist would be able to diagnose and treat.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.