Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Hair loss
An_207974 posted:
After the birth of my son; i have had a really hard time with my hair care. Between my son tugging on it, and trying to keep it healthy, and strong; i continue to pull chunks of hair from my head. Any suggestions or advice on what i could do to help keep my hair on my head!?

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear Anon,
You don't mention how old your son is, but if he is a new one, you may just have to wait out the hair loss. Women can begin to lose hair 3-6 months after a birth, continue to lose it for another 3-6 months, and then have to wait another few months for the hair to grow long enough to notice. Some women lose as much as 50% of their hair. The good news is that it does grow back.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.