Skip to content


Related Reading:
Will Insurance Cover Plastic Surgery?
5 Foods for More Beautiful Skin

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Facial skin pigmentation
DS007 posted:
Hadn't seen my daughter in almost 2 years and was shocked when I saw her face. She has large spots on her face a totally different color than her skin color. She said it just started 2 years ago (she's 23) Doctors have ran all kinds of tests and still haven't figured out what is causing this. Best way to describe this is how Michael Jackson looked when he was trying to lighten his skin color. My daughter is caucasian/hispanic mix. Am concerned for her. Any ideas? thanks
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear DS007,

As a mother myself, I understand how concerned you must be about your daughter's skin.

These patches of discoloration may be anything from vitiligo (what Michael Jackson was reported to have), to post inflammatory hypopigmentation (light patches that occur after a rash), to sarcoidosis (a multisystem disorder that causes skin discoloration) to numerous other conditions.

Typically blood tests and occasionally a skin biopsy are needed to adequately diagnose.

Get your daughter in to the primary doc or dermatologist soon please. The sooner you halt the process, the better she has of getting the pigment back.

Please keep me posted and good luck.
itsmekristin responded:
my son is 6 and has white spots on his face they showed up about a year ago he is white and black mix do you think i should be concerned do you think its what your daughter has im scared for him and he gets made fun of???
Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to itsmekristin's response:
Dear itsmekristin ,

The most common discoloration problem that occurs on the face of children is a disorder called pityriasis alba (p. alba). Although the precise reason p. alba occurs is unknown, it is thought to be due to prior dry skin or eczema that temporarily reduces the pigment cells from making color. On kids faces it can look like light colored patches, occasionally with a little scaliness.

In patients with brown skin, the p. alba can be more noticeable than in lighter skin patients.

Nevertheless, make a quick appointment with your pediatrician to have the discoloration evaluated. It will give you peace of mind undoubtedly. If the condition is p.alba, the doc can prescribe you a very low strength cortisone cream that can help stimulate the pigement cells.

Happy holidays

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.