Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Small bumps on 5 year old son's skin
Danier12 posted:
My 5 year old son has small pumps on his skin for the past 8 months. They bumps are located around his belly button and extend down to his penis. The bumps seem not to be wart like as they are pointy and not pimples. They are not itchy and have progressively got more over time and do not fade away. One or two have started developing on his arm too. What could this be and what could the cause of it be?

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear Danier12,
Spreading bumps on the skin of a child are most often due to molluscum contagiosum, which is a type of wart that looks different from the common wart. This condition is more common in children who have dry skin, or eczema. It eventually goes away by itself, but in the meantime, can spread to other siblings and classmates, so I recommend taking him to a dermatologist. Dermatologists usually treat the condition by applying a painless liquid to the bumps, or by prescribing a cream to use at home.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Reduce Deep Acne ScarsExpert
A minimally invasive and exceptionally effective treatment to reduce acne scars is microdermabrasion. This is a manual exfoliation that ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.