Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Mid Life great skin
reigntiye posted:
Hello,
I am a 47 soon to be 48 year old african american woman. I used to have awful acne in my teen years and into my early adulthood. At this point in my years my skin is beginning to look okay. I am wondering what I could use that works on skin to beautify it without paying the hollywood stars money for it. I am a single mother of 4 and work making a modest yearly income. There must be products for us that can do good things for our skin on a budget. Please give some suggestions. Thank you so much and I hope you know how wonderful an opportunity this is for doctors of your prestige and knowledge to share with others like myself who would not otherwise get such an opportunity.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Reigntiye,

Oh sweetheart, what a kind compliment, thank you!
I commend you on being a hard working single mother of 4 -- that is the most wonderful and most difficult job of them all

Skin care does not have to be terribly expensive to be good. A few suggestions.

-- Always a moisturizer with sunscreen in the am. As a woman of color myself, I see many patients with brown skin who do not think sunscreen applies to them. Sunscreen is the single most important way to minimize aging, discoloration, and wrinkles. A few brands I like are Neutrogena with Helioplex, Anthelios, and Cerave am.

--I also recommend that my patients use a topical anti-oxidant in the am. These are vitamins that minimize free radical damage to our skin. These include Green Tea, Coffeeberry, Vitamin C, E and Phloretin. These topical anti-oxidants tend to be more expensive- so when cost is an issue, I recommend to use them very sparingly under your sunscreen so you can at least get 4-6 months out of a bottle. A few good brands are Skinceuticals, Revale, and Replenix.

--In the evening, at topical retinol/ retinoid cream is KEY! These retinol compounds have more than 30 years of scientific research behind them showing that they increase collagen production - leading to healthier, younger looking skin. The stronger (and hence more effective) products need to be prescribed by an MD. However, a few good over the counter ones are ROC retinol and Neutrogena retinol. If you have an MD prescribe you topical Retin-A (the lowest generic strength is 0.25%) you can go to Walmart, Sam's Club, or Costco (you do not have to be a member) and the small tube that lasts 3-4 months is about $25.
** Make sure you are not pregnant or nursing when using these topical retinols because they are contraindicated.

I always suggest taking a pic of your face before starting the regimen and then compare in 3-4 months. You will definitely see a nice difference

Good luck and please keep me updated!!!

diannasam responded:
I use everything the Dr. said to use too... A really good Vitamian C product you can find is at the Body Shop. And the Neutrogena Retniol is good too. And for lotions i use Clinque Dramatically Different lotion and their Overnight Turnaround Lotion.. This will probably put you at about $100, but for your face its a great investment and be worth every penny. Good Luck to you

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to diannasam's response:
These are excellent suggestions, thank you for your input

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.