Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
adult acne with more gross issues any advice ?
An_242335 posted:
hi i am a 27 year old female who has dark skin on my arm pits and my groin and also have head to thigh acne the worst acne is in my arm pit for when i wash as my doctor had suggested she said i needed to take more baths as i do take them once a day hears my dilemma i wash my arm pit i have black heads and some times pimples they tend to pop and this nasty smelling foul stuff comes out and its even hard for my soap to get the foul smell off i now have a new doctor but i am afraid to ask for assistance on whats going on simply because of my last doctor saying my hygiene was bad i have always since puberty had issues with a strong body Oder but now with this new symptom that has happened for the last year that i noticed i am scared its a infection and could my other skin issues be related

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
An_242335,
I'm glad you switched doctors, because your problem has nothing to do with hygiene. You have a condition called hidradenitis suppurativa, which is a problem with the sweat glands in the skin fold areas of the body. It causes cysts and blackheads in these areas. The cysts rupture and drain pus, and they smell because of the bacteria that grow in these areas. There are ways to treat this, but you have to consult with a dermatologist, because they are most used to this condition and will not accuse you of causing the problem!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.