Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Redness/sensitive skin on chest
amt2177 posted:
The skin on my chest going upward toward my neck gets red easily. I am very fair-skinned, and I notice my chest gets red or splotchy as soon as I step out into sunlight, when I'm excited or upset, or when I take a warm-to-hot bath or shower. Other than the redness, I have no other symptoms - no itching, burning, bumps, etc. After a little bit, the redness goes away. The skin on my face is pretty normal, and I don't have much redness there. I suspect it's sensitive skin, although I'm not sure. It's embarrassing to me, and I haven't been wearing V-necks or scoopnecks a lot lately. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be and what I can do about it? Can you recommend any lotions, etc.?

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear amt2177,
It sounds like your blood vessels are very reactive to heat. You can try one of the products that is sold to reduce redness, like Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cream or Eucerin Redness Relief Lotion. Remember that hot and spicy foods and alcohol can also cause blood vessels to react and avoiding these may help. Unfortunately, beyond keeping cool, there's not a lot to do about this problem.

amt2177 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
OK, great. Thank you for your help!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.