Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
burn from salicylic acid used on face?
Brandywine_9 posted:
I dont have insurance or money. I am in my early 30s and i have moles that are beginning to become more raised and apparent(ones that i have had most of my life and were usually more like freckles) and also more age spots. I had some corn and callus remover and since it was salicylic acid(17%) i dabbed a bit on these spots. Of course they hardened over with the film, i left on for about 15 mins and it was burning as i expected it to a little. I washed it off but it is difficult to remove. When i woke up this morning all the spots are red, one is more of a small lesion kind of purple/brown spot and still irritated. I applied a little ice and hydrocortisone cream along with a little vitamin E oil. Im not sure if this is permanent damage or how long it may take to heal. Bad decision on my part, was just a quick desperate thought. I have also been using Palmers fade cream on these spots for a short time.
Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear Brandywine_9,
You'll probably be OK. You did the right thing applying the ice and hydrocortisone. If the spots are on your face, they have probably healed by now. The redness can take a few months to go away. Let us know if your home chemical peel worked on the spots!
You're better off sticking with the Palmers in the future-it doesn't work fast, but it's safe. You may need to use it twice daily for 6 months. Good luck.
nessa2468 responded:
The chemical peels in various salicylate concentrates are abrasive. I have a couples spots from them recently. So, I am curious? Did the spots go away? The dark brown ones.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.