Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Fine lines and wrinkles around lips
EleanorAnne posted:
I am 48 with a very oily, medium complexion. I have been fortunate to have only have a few fine lines around my eyes.

My lips are my concern. Around my lips, especially upper lip I am noticing more lines and wrinkling.

Any suggestions for over the counter products or minor procedures that can help?

Thanks!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear EleanorAnne,

A few suggestions and tips to mitigate those fine lines around the lips:

1. No smoking: this is the most preventable thing you can do to minimize lip (perioral) lines.

2. Do not make strong, repeated expressions. Of course, you should be yourself, but try not to make hard scowls. Not only will this help diminish the lines, it will also naturally make you feel better!

3. Use a topical retinoid (preferably prescription strength) at night. This will stimulate collagen and elastin production to help fill in the lines over time.

4. Very small amounts of botox (typically 4 - 8 units of the Allergan product, and 10-15 units of the Medicis product) can help soften the muscles that contribute to the fine lines.

5. A soft filler such as Collagen or Restylane can fill in the deeper lines. Very little is needed in this area so it typically is not too expensive.

I hope that helps

biblethumper replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank u, this was very helpful, I am a smoker and getting ready to quiet. I am very happy to hear that I can diminish some of these lines after I quiet!I do have a question. I am 54 and use to have full nice lip's, but now my upper lip has gotten so thin I can hardly see it, is their any thing to help fill it out without botox? Is there hope?

lolanicki replied to biblethumper's response:
I used to be a smoker also. I had juvederm injections around my lips and it did make my lips fuller, but it is not permenant. I Also try loreal lip plumper. It is the only one that actually works. I used it and it lasted 6 hours. The other lip plumpers do not work. I am going to have artefill injected in my lips which is more permanant. It is a new procedure. Good luck.

clairejohn responded:
Step 1Start wearing sunscreen. Wrinkles will keep returning if you don't protect your skin against the damaging effects of the sun. Wear an SPF 15 sunscreen (apply before makeup). If it's summer and you're sweating, you will need to reapply it at some point during the day.

Step 2Ask your doctor about dermal fillers such as collagen as it availables in many lip plumpers now a days and Juvederm. These are gels that are injected into the wrinkles to fill them. Fillers are especially good for deeper wrinkles, as they "raise" the wrinkle space and smooth out the skin better than any other treatment.
Step 3Stop smoking. The movements caused by your mouth and lips while you're smoking can cause wrinkles on your top lip and around your mouth. Even if you already have them, giving up cigarettes will prevent them from getting deeper. When you move your mouth over and over the same way, eventually wrinkles will develop.
Step 4Try a chemical peel. It might be a good option if you have lots of small, fine wrinkles. Chemical peels burn the top layer of skin, removing the wrinkles and other skin imperfections. There are different levels of chemical peels, from light to deep. The light one might require several visits, but it's the best option if wrinkles are close to the lips or if you have sensitive skin.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.