Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stretch marks
An_244657 posted:
Hello I am a male 24 years old and have had stretch marks since I was about 13. My guess it came from my growth spurt during puberty but the stretch marks are extremely embarrassing. I went to my GP and he said I could visit a plastic surgeon and they would be able to remove the stretch marks by removing the skin where the stretch marks had occur and then stitch it back up with minimal scar appearance. Does anyone know if this truly does work or if there might be any other options I can choose that does work. Also I saw on Dr.Oz a special on stretch marks using this CO2 laser, will it work on males who are brown skin?
An_244684 responded:
You sound just like me! (except, I'm female) I've had stretch marks since my early teen years and by the time I noticed I had them, they were white. Please, someone answer!! I have never heard of the procedure you mentioned (which sounds kinda strange, actually), and I don't know of any lasers that treat white stretchmarks, as of yet. I think some lasers will treat them when they are red/purple.
Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to An_244684's response:
Dear Readers,

Great question and a very common concern. In brown skin, I would sincerely advise you from NOT going to a cosmetic surgeon and having the stretch marks surgically removed. Many times, the scar in brown skin can look much worse than the original stretch marks.

There are several laser procedures that will stimulate collagen and elastin to significantly improve the stretch mark appearance. An 244684 is correct- we use a pulse-dye laser when the stretch marks are red or purple. When the stretch marks are older and white we use a fractionated non-ablative laser. Again, in brown skin, I would cation against C02 (fractional Ablative laser) as it may lead to permanent discoloration and rarely scarring which may be worse than the original condition.

If you have time, please consult this page on my ethnic skin website:

You will also find other tips on ethnic skin.

Please be cautious about the dermatologist/ laser specialist that you consult and make sure they have vast experience with brown skin.

I would love to hear both of your progress.

I hope that helps

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Reduce Deep Acne ScarsExpert
A minimally invasive and exceptionally effective treatment to reduce acne scars is microdermabrasion. This is a manual exfoliation that ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.