Skip to content


Related Reading:
Will Insurance Cover Plastic Surgery?
5 Foods for More Beautiful Skin

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Brown spots on my nose and side of face
1temp posted:
Please tell me what medication I can use for the brown spot that is appearing on my nose and seems to be now growing on my cheek. I am using sunscreen now, and a hat when outdoors.
Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Dear 1temp,
The least expensive thing to use is 2% hydroquinone which is available over-the-counter as Ambi. You need to use it twice a day for 3 or 4 months. You should make sure that your sunblock contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. One brand is Neutrogena for sensitive skin. One warning is that if the brown spot has multiple colors in it or keeps growing, please see a dermatologist to make sure that it's not melanoma.
Hope this helps!
1temp responded:
Thank you Dr. Buchness.
I do appreciate your valuable advice. I will purchase Ambi today! I'll also check my sunblock for the listed ingredients you mentioned.
My best to you.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.