Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
who NEEDS sunscreen?
pinkiepie2 posted:
I have a serious question. I have two children both are bi-racial. As i understand everyone needs sunscreen, but I have been told that people of color, and bi-racial people do not need sun protection. Can someone please help !!!!

Take the Poll

do people of color need sunscreen?
  • yes
  • no
  • maybe
vote
View Poll Results

Jeune1 responded:
Good question. I'm an African-American but probably pretty close to your children's complexion and I have received the EVERYONE MUST WEAR SUNSCREEN, NO EXCEPTIONS! lecture from my regular doctor, a dermatologist and the woman who gives me facials.

This came as a shock to me because when I was growing up "common knowledge" was that only Caucasians needed sunscreen. Common knowledge was wrong.

In fact, the esthetician (who is African-American w/medium-dark brown complexion) was horrified at the thought of going out without the SPF. The dermatologist (Caucasian) just looked at me like I was stupid and or crazy.

So now I wear sunscreen, and your kids should too.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Jeune1 is correct - Sunscreen is a must!

According to our Sun Myths & Facts Quiz, "Although darker skin offers more natural protection from the sun than fair skin, groups including African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans can still burn and still need to protect themselves from sun damage and skin cancer".

Dr. Tareen also talks about this on her website, Desi Dermatology.

For information about finding a good sunscreen see these articles -

New Sunscreen Guide: 1 in 4 Products Deemed Safe
Sunscreen Safety: What to Know

Let us know if this is helpful,
Elizabeth
- Elizabeth
~Love of beauty is taste. Creation of beauty is art.~
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Acne breakouts
Just wanted to pass along a tip for clearing acne breakouts. I found a herbal product that is called Acne Clear Results by Terra Therapies. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.